Taste of Dublin 06

Go! Was there last night with a group and we all really enjoued it. Very laid back atmosphere, great weather, no pushy salespeople - they just want you to sample their food/drinks and were all lovely. Thought the whole thing was very well organised and well worth a visit. Even though the session I attended was sold out, it wasn't jam packed and there was plenty of room to move around.

I was going to do my own alternative and more authentic Taste of Dublin 2006 with a half dozen cans of Bavaria and a kebab but I see that DCC have signs up threatening public drinkers with €1,000 fines now!

Guess I won't be bumping into you then - if I do get there, Clubman

Incidentally, was in London recently and went to Richard Corrigan's restaurant, Lindsay House - expensive enough, but well worth it.

He's from my own part of the country too.

ClubMan said:
I was going to do my own alternative and more authentic Taste of Dublin 2006 with a half dozen cans of Bavaria and a kebab but I see that DCC have signs up threatening public drinkers with €1,000 fines now!
By the way - I meant on the Liffey boardwalk.

I went to this event on Saturday and thought it was the worse value for money I've seen in a long time. €8 for a tiny onion tartlet from one of the restaurants was one of the most crazy things I saw there. There was fish and chips (square inch of fish) and about 8 chips for €5.

Walking back towards Temple Bar, we checked out the market in Meeting House Square. For future reference, this would have been a much better place to go. The selection of food was far superior, the servings much bigger, and there was much better value for money to be had.

ClubMan said:

yes most bohs "fans" have realised this by now

In fairness, the idea of the event is that 'ordinary' people (and by ordinary, I mean people with bills to pay who can't afford/aren't bothered about eatting in fancy restaurants every night) can sample some of the dishes that restaurants such as La Stampa or Peploes (for example) without having to go for a full meal. Obviously the restaurants hope you'll be so thrilled with what you taste that you'll become a customer. I didn't think it was bad value at all. For €3, I got a glass of wine (cheap by any standards), for €5 a delicious lamb kebab from Jaipur and for another €5 I got to sample Gary Rhodes' white cherry tomato soup and meet Gary himself (definite VFM!! ). I also had Palestinian falafel with hummus and pitta which was €6 and which I struggled to finish because the portion was so generous. There were lots of freebies on offer as well - only mouthful sized samples but there was a great variety and I sampled lots of things I hadn't tried before. I would definitely go back again. At the end of the night I had spent my €20 worth of vouchers and was full and nicely tipsy. Reminds me of when I was a student

ronan_d_john - sounds like there was better value on offer than your €8 tart. Why did you go for that rather than shopping around?

Like Jarvis Cocker I don't like this idea of having to slum it with "ordinary people" though. I think I'll stick to Dalymount and the Liffey Boardwalk where the extraordinary people hang out.

ClubMan said:
Like Jarvis Cocker I don't like this idea of having to slum it with "ordinary people" though. I think I'll stick to Dalymount and the Liffey Boardwalk where the extraordinary people hang out.

Are you aware that kebab technology in Ireland is about 100 years behind kebab technology in Europe ? Theres no comparison at all.

It's OK - Irish taste buds probably suffer from a 100 year evolutionary gap too.

Taste of Dublin 2007

Went there last Saturday, not knowing what to expect. Lost my gang on purpose and just wandered about with my €20 worth of florins. Tried to spend them but could not, I was offered so many freebies. Nicely tipsy, had a chat with yer wan from the Ballymaloe cookery TV programme. Can't remember her name but she is the good looking wan who writes cookery books. It was in the Iveagh Gardens behind the NCH. Great venue. Atmosphere soooo not chelsea garden show, which is what I was afraid of. Most people I saw there seemed a bit like me, not real foodies but interested none the less. I wish they would bring this to Cork so I could enjoy it all over again without braving Dublin traffic. Definitely going to go there again.