Tarbert - Killimer ferry: is it a commuting option ?

jrewing

I am looking at a job in North Kerry and am looking at commuting options from Clare as opposed to moving to Kerry.

Driving via Limerick is much too long and (pending 2010 completion of the tunnel) congested. The other option is the ferry near Kilrush.

Does anybody use the Killimer-Tarbert ferry as a daily commuting option? Is it reliable time-wise? Does it operate in all weathers? Is there a lot of wasted time queuing / embarkign / disembarking ?

If it is a suitable option, I would prefer to move to Kilrush area and cross daily (for family reasons), rather than moving to Kerry.

to be honest i haven't used it for commuting but have used it regularly. its always on time, very efficient, i think it would need to be extremly bad weather for it not to run but it might be possibly very expensive. i suppose it depends on where in north kerry you'd be working too.. it would take you half hour to get over to tarbert from kilrush and close to 50 mins to get into tralee??

seems to be fairly punctual, although havent used it to commute.
its pricey also. 16e a pop. although probably week deals.

Driving through Limerick city is grand early in the morning-though you dont want to be too ealry for work! would suit if you can alter your work hours-start early finish early type thing.

Its absolutle hell if you time it too late.

best of luck.

€110 for a book of 12 tickets for a car. It would be cheaper if you could leave your car at the Killimer car park and go as a foot/bicycle passenger. Obviously depends on where in Kerry you're working.

Runs every 30 mins in Summer but only once an hour in Winter.