Tappet problem

levelpar

Hi, Recently bought Focus saloon 1.6 Ghia which seems to have tappets trouble (slight tapping sound when idling) I think the car was lying in the Ford garage for some months. Anyone have any ideas before I go back to garage

Bring it back to garage insist they change oil and filter.They must use special oil 0w30 and a genuine ford oil filter.Don't leave it or you'll get untold problems later in its life.Oil is cheap compared to price of engines!!

Don't let then fob you off with "they all sound like that" because they don't!! You might have found the reason the car was traded in the first place. The Zetec engine is very sensitive to oil grade. Hopefully it will respond to the oil change. Keep us posted.

Hi caff, Did'nt get to the garage but am listening for the noise. I noticed that when I put my foot on the clutch ,the tapping stops until I release the pedal . I believe the car was lying since last March .If its oil or pump related ,would this be a big job for the garage? By the way, the garage is a main Ford dealer ,so the oil and filter should be theirs. Also I checked the oil level and condition and found both fine.

Hi,

this sounds like the clutch release bearing is noisy. This is quite common on lots of cars. If car is under warranty, bring it back to garage. If not, don't worry too much as it is rare for them to completely fail.

Hi Steelblue, Thanks for reply. We are going away for a few days down south and will pay more attention to whatever it is.

Hi, Left car back for investigation. Rang this morning and was told that this model (Ghia) is prone to this problem but if it gets worse they will do something about it. I am not happy with the noise which sound like an old diesel idling and for me it takes away the good feel factor I have for the car so i said that I was not happy with their suggestion . The saleman said he would talk to the service section and to hold on to the replacement car. As I said ,I like the car but the tapping is taking the "shine" of it

It sounds like the cush springs in the friction plate of the clutch.It sometimes becomes more pronounced if the engine idle speed is a little too low.It doesn't sound like something terminal but get it in writing that it has been investigated during the warranty period.If it gets worse later on you should be covered.

hi there firstly your car dosent have tappets ,did you say the noise completly went away when you pressed the clutch in? if so its more than likely your clutch actuator in your gearbox which has you release bearing built into these are not costly by them selves but the gearbox will need to be removed which is where the money comes in .i would have it checked over by someone who knows their fords .because your need to eliminate your engine ,reason been focus that havent had regular oil changes seem to always develop bottom end noise usually big ends .and un like years gone by these cannot be replaced on focus as it is basically a throw away engine
lower end parts are not available for these engines only full engines or short blocks.so get a good diagnosis it could cost big dollars other than that they are a great car .only advice i would give to focus owners just change the oil regularly if its all you can afford to do and your engine will live forever.

Hi, Car in garage for the week ,went to collect today and mechanic says the tapping did not justify stripping out the gearbox but if it got worse they would look at it again. I have a 12 month guarantee so I will watch how it goes. Thanks to everyon who gave advice and opinions