Taped v's skimmed finish to plasterboard

curiosity

Does anyone have any disadvantages they know of in taping the plasterboard joints and painting on top rather than skim coat plastering the full board before painting? A lot of new builds I see now are taping and painting, is this a cheap and lazy finish or perfectably acceptable nowadays?

Having lived in two houses with the plasterboard taped(it was very common in the 1970's houses), and having had to get the walls skimmed post other people's wallpaper, I think it is a very lazy finish and I would not put up with it.It's of course much cheaper from a builders point of view.

It is a "chaper finish"- no doubt, but if well executed it is very acceptable. If you want to paper your walls then skimming is the preferred finish. Taped finish is rapidly supplanting skimming as the norm on sites now.

I'm putting in insulated boards into 3 of my upstairs rooms and I'll be using taped finish then painting.

I hate getting plasterers because they have a notorious reputation for small jobs at least the ones I've waited for 3 days on the trot.

Having said that when you get a good one they are worth their weight in gold (as with brickies)

A word of caution S.L.F. ........ if you are mushrooming the insulation boards it will be more complex. If going onto battens - you may have a convex shadow, as the eurathane side shrinks a little after being stuck onto the plasterboard.

I think my finish has been taped, looks like there is tape peeling off all around the ceiling and top of walls in certain areas

A word of caution S.L.F. ........ if you are mushrooming the insulation boards it will be more complex. If going onto battens - you may have a convex shadow, as the eurathane side shrinks a little after being stuck onto the plasterboard.

Thanks for that I'll bear it in mind,

Simeon I have battened a wall before and put Low-E insulation on to it then plaster-boarded. In that particular circumstance I had a plasterer in (actually I had 3 in but only 1 showed)

Would this work if only taped?

If the battens are plumb and level then taping and jointing is OK. Just make sure the boards are 12.5mm or heavier.