Tape to PC to iPod

zztop

Bought a tape player which can connect to PC to enable
songs to be captured.When I synced the iPod the songs
transfer but will not play??Also when clicking on iTunes
list songs dissapear...Im saving each song seperately
but obviously doing something wrong.Need help or
tape machine going on eBay.

Is the tape machine importing the songs in a format that iTunes can use, and a format that your iPod can play - AAC is the best for iTunes, followed by .mp3.

Your tape machine could be creating something like .wma files which don't play in iTunes (I believe). You may need a conversion program to convert the file to a compatible format (there are loads of free ones on the internet) iTunes is great, but the choice of file formats is, unfortuantely, a bit limited.

Thanks j.When the tracks are saved they appear on the iTunes listing
and can be played on the computer but not on the ipod?

Thanks j.When the tracks are saved they appear on the iTunes listing
and can be played on the computer but not on the ipod?

If you go into view options and select "kind" you'll see what format the file is. Most of those tape processors etc don't save as MP3, so you'll have to convert.

You should be able to do this on iTunes by selecting the tracks, and through the Advanced tab, convert to AAC. (You can change what it is converted to through your preferences).

Changed the format to AAC as recommended and it worked ...but...
the last song I converted changes all the downloaded songs to that
particular track.So if I converted 10 different songs the latest omits
them all and Im left with 10 of the same.Any advice please.

If you post the steps in brief someone might see where the error is.

Personally I just connect a tape deck to the line in the PC and record them in as one big wav. Split them as desired, then burn the WAV to CD and also rip it to MP3. I use CD Wave Editor which is very simple.