Talbot Court/ Downs, Dublin 15

J

jellytots

Hi, half thinking about buying in Talbot Court/ Downs. Does anyone know what the area is like/ what schools are in the catchment area? There seems to have been quite a few of these houses up for sale recently and just wondering whether there is any particular reason for that?

Thanks a million,
J

Hi,
I live in the Dublin 15 area and know Talbot Court / Downs it's the estate beside bradys pub? By all accounts it's a lovely area, nice location, know a couple leaving there since they were built and have had no problems

Also know someone who lives here. They love the location. Very close to Castleknock train station. Into city centre in 30 min with loads of trains now. Good schools in Blanch & Castleknock. Can walk to both villages also. Houses seem to be very well built with some houses having very big gardens.

The only down I can think of with Talbot Downs is that it’s close to the Navan Road and M50 and might suffer with traffic noise. However you have three pubs within staggering distance (all serving food), good schools, trains, buses, just past the worst of the bad traffic on the N3, and it’s close to the village. I wonder is it sold with a Castleknock or Blanchardstown address?!

Hi there, myself and my now husband bought our house in talbot court in July last year - we love living here. It's so close to everything - 5 mins walk to train station (20 mins by train to Connolly), 3 minutes to M50, close to shops eg Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, nice walks in vicinity (tolka valley park and along canal), walking distance of restaurants in Castleknock and Blanchardstown village and has 2 great pubs - the 12th Lock and Bradys - both in stumbling distance.

It's a lovely quiet neighbourhood - one poster mentions traffic noise.. to be honest after a night or 2 of living there we got used to it and it's not too bad... you do get the odd ambulance going by in middle of night and at start that used to wake me but now I don't notice at all!

The houses are well constructed too.. we haven't had any problems.

So thumbs up from me!

Caoimhe

Another comment raised was if it's Castleknock or Blanchardstown - the official postal address is Castleknock. In recent elections our polling station was the one in Castleknock.

I would have thought St Brigid's school was nearer, strange.
My parents voted there, but their postal address is Clonsilla (Glenville)

Only bad things IMO are the Traffic in the area is very bad at peak times. As is all of D.15. So getting into town at peak is still a pain. Trains are packed, I've often seen people not able to get on the train because its so full. Its like sardines. Personally it rarely takes 20mins. More like 30~40mins because of unexplained stops here and there. Personally I can't stand the overcrowding at peak. The 12th Lock bar/hotel (great breakfasts) brings contant (but light) traffic zipping down the road all the time. Which some find a pain.

Nice houses though and everything is nearby so you can walk to everything. The address maybe Castleknock but you couldn't be closer to Blanchardstown without being on the Main St. Probably one of the nicest parts of D.15 tbh.

As someone who uses the line everyday, I have to say that it has only taken more than 20 minutes to get from Clonsilla once or twice.

There is also the option of takling the new service to Spencer Dock-which is less crowded by all accounts.

As someone who uses the line everyday, I have to say that it has only taken more than 20 minutes to get from Clonsilla once or twice.

There is also the option of takling the new service to Spencer Dock-which is less crowded by all accounts.

AFAIK On the train timetable it takes 25 mins. So your saying the train is 5 mins earlier to Connolly early everyday except on 2 occasions. I also use the line, though not everyday. In my experience thats not the case, even outside peak.

Ok, 25 minutes it is.

I use the line everyday (Monday to Friday) at peak times and get to Maynooth in 40 minutes.

Ok, 25 minutes it is.

I use the line everyday (Monday to Friday) at peak times and get to Maynooth in 40 minutes.

Thats not every day. So its 25 now, and you don't actually go into town at all, but the opposite direction out of town. Sorry but you not helping me believe you.

To quote Monty Python "[SIZE=-1]He's making it up as he goes along"

[/SIZE]

Have used the train service sometimes and my friend use it every week. Since the new service to the dockland started the trains are much less crowded. Sometimes the front and back carraiges are packed and the middle ones are fine! The trains in the morning are generally slower because of Connolly but in the evening they are great!

Sure....my name is actually Barry Kenny and I work in PR for Iarnroid Eireann.

And to get into town in the morning I have to go........

Believe what you like-but the train does not regularly take 30-40 minutes to get to/from Clonsilla. That's rubbish.

I will agree that any trains that don't commence in Clonsilla won't be very comfortable at peak times, and likewise going the other way in the evening. Again, I would recommend the Spencer Dock option if it is viable.

True on the 11th it took approx an hour because of a problem on the Dart line. I'm saying more like 5~15 mins late, based on my experience of getting it, admittedly irregularly. Not that remarkable for CIE. You're saying CIE are 5 mins early or on time everyday. With respect it sounds like you don't use it on a regular basis in that direction at peak. Maybe your just luckier than me. I have the worst luck at traffic lights too.

True lately I've been able to breathe a bit. I was thinking it was summer and not because of the dockland trains, as they are almost empty. Maybe its the train. Never got a seat. In fact I don't think I've every got a seat in many years using it going into town, and rarely comming home, unless I'm very off peak. Was thinking of getting the docklands train for that very reason.

Getting the train at the weekends its great. The kids love it too. Can be busy on match days though. But very handy for Matches.

People cashing in, trading up, or moving out of the city, I assume. You're near the NAC which is brilliant for the Kids and Adults too. Highly recommended. http://www.nationalaquaticcentre.ie/ One of my firends lives in Talbot and they considered moving up closer to Castleknock, but it was a lot of expense for very little really and they decided to stay.

I wouldn't be worried about not getting a seat to/from Castleknock into town for the 20-30 min journey. It is a rush hour commuter train service. It's the same with every similar service in any big city. Have you ever had the pleasure of rush hour in London or New York? You wouldn't even see the seats, let alone get one. I would much rather that than 1-2 hours stuck on the M50.

I was just amused that you're idea of "fine" and "great" was standing room only and only slighly crowded and not packed like sadines as it normally is at peak. From my experience its often much worse than than NY or London. I've seen people pass out and not fall on the D.15 train.

Anyway its much more pleasant ("fine") at the weekends and when you are well off peak.

I don't use the M50. Poor you if you do. I head D.15~D.4 and door to door the car is almost always quicker, thats including a stop on route to creche or shops etc and I can choose my times. But its miserable driving in traffic even off peak. So hence I often take the train. Handy alternative to the Drink~Link/NiteLink too.