taking up the gov's? bike for car offer

siobhand1

I feel my life is being sorted out on abm so maybe someone can recommend a good brand of bicycle for me. There are so many it is mind boggling and I am told the old reliable raleigh is like ariel soap powder branded everywhere under new names. Looking for hybrid and eventhough there is e1000 to spend and pay back, I will go for somethiing around the 3 to 5 hnd mark. cork area. Thanks again

Last edited:
It's the 'Bike to Work Scheme' you mean here I presume. The €1000 limit will also cover safety equipment, so make sure you get yourself good lights, lock, helmet, mud guards, pump, puncture repair kit, etc. This is a once in 5 years deal, you can save up to 51% on your total spend. If you can afford to, maximise the benefit and spend the full €1000.

Find out if your company has partnered with a 3rd party to administer the scheme, this will limit where you can purchase the bike. There are a few companies offering this service including biketowork.ie, bikescheme.ie, bikes4work.ie

Good brands include Trek, Giant, Lapierre, Specialized, Cube.
Leo

Go to a good local bike shop. You really need to try out the bike to find what size and style suits you.

I recently took advantage of this scheme to purchase a "Giant Rapid 4", i think its a great hybrid bike for the price, just over 500 depending on the retailer.

Go to a good local bike shop.

+1

Nothing to do with OP's query, but ..

We recently upgraded our daughter's bike. Went to local shop who told us to drop in any time if anything needed tightening, loosening, etc.

Neighbour recently upgraded their daughter's bike. Went to local branch of prominent UK store. 2 days later they delivered the bike in a box. No-one mentioned self-assembly to them.

Good advice from Leo above-the most popular brands would be Trek,Giant,Specialized.
The more you spend,the lighter and thus more responsive the machine will be.It will also have better quality components which will last for longer without needing servicing.I would go for the upper end of your scale at 500 golden nuggets,you will get a decent offering from all the big brands at this price point.
One word of advice-invest in a decent lock,especially if you are using your machine in a town or city!A lot of people who buy bikes on the scheme neglect to do this,and are left paying for a bike which has been robbed because its lock might as well been made from cheese strings!Do not be put off by the price of a good lock-the good ones are expensive,but apart from buying the bike itself,the best money you will spend.Good makes include ABUS and Kryptonite.
Lastly,Enjoy!Its seriously addictive!

Back