taking money to USA

Maggie B

Hi,
Iwill be going to USA after Xmas and meeting extended family who are travelling from other parts of world. I want to make sure I have enough of Dollars for gifts for various grandchildren etc. What is the best way of taking money apart from travellers cheques.

Can I send money over by western union and collect it there or can I top up my credit card. I use Visa and laser.

Any advice would be appreciated as am not a very experienced traveller.

Using Western Union is a very expensive way of transferring money. Best to take either cash or load up your credit card and withdraw the cash over there.

I have read the key posts and I am a bit wary of loading cc in case I lose it but it seems the best option, I will check with ulster bank about charges.

best exchange rates are given in The Buttercrane in Newry if you want to bring dollars

Credit Card is definitely the way to go. You get the best exchange rates this way but be aware you will be charged a fee each time you withdraw money at an ATM.

If you have Card Protection (costs about €20 annually if I remember correctly), this would cover you in the unlikely event you lose your card e.g. fraudulant purchases and advance you money to tie you over to the end of your holiday if necesssary.

One other thing, in certain parts of the USA particularly in California, it is customary to ask to see ID when using your credit card.

Check that all is up to date with your card. Be sure you know your pin no. Bring a back-up card as well, eg your ATM card. Check with your bank that you can use it in the US.
Ask the bank and credit card co. for a phone no in case of problems. In other words belt and braces

Back