Taking Food on a Plane

N

Now_and_Then

I will be going to London in a couple of weeks. I want to bring back some Baklava (a pastry with honey and nuts). I will only be carrying hand luggage.

Does any one know if I will be allowed to take a couple of plates of the stuff onto the plane, given the stricter regulations about taking things (especialy liquids) on board?

Any help appreciated.

Yes,
As far as I am aware the restriction is only on liquids. I have often brought a few roles on the plane as plane food sucks and was never questioned.

Bring my own food on board all the time as I resent the prices they charge for sandwiches and coffee. Of course I have to pay a high price for water air side. Good old rip off Ireland! I have a son living in Sweden and I bring Rashers and Sausage to him but I put it in my checked in luggage, as the Swedes are very law abiding I'm sure if customs checked they would confiscate it. Been doin it now for 6 years!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I have to pay a high price for water air side.
Could you not just ask for a glass of water on board instead?
Good old rip off Ireland!
High priced bottled water airside is certainly not unique to Ireland!
I have a son living in Sweden and I bring Rashers and Sausage to him but I put it in my checked in luggage, as the Swedes are very law abiding I'm sure if customs checked they would confiscate it.
Those crazy Europeans and their tendancy to actually enforce laws that they enact, eh!?

Bring my own food on board all the time as I resent the prices they charge for sandwiches and coffee. Of course I have to pay a high price for water air side. Good old rip off Ireland! I have a son living in Sweden and I bring Rashers and Sausage to him but I put it in my checked in luggage, as the Swedes are very law abiding I'm sure if customs checked they would confiscate it. Been doin it now for 6 years!!!!!!!!!!
Sweden is - as far as I remember - a member of the European Union. Therefore: even if customs would be bothered to check you luggage they definitely would not confiscate it. You would need to bring well in excess of any luggage allowance to be in excess of any customs allowances.
In addition, customs would take a look at your checked in luggage as well.

For the OP: I travelled a lot in planes in the last year - security is usually only interested in liquids. The worst that could happen is that you have to show the security that it is actually baklava (you never know how it looks on that scanner screen), but I never had problems with any food (except drinks of course).

clubman, I like to drink at least a half ltr of water while flying so would b a bit reluctant to keep asking them to refill my glass!! I try to fly as cheaply as poss; ( ryan air ) and as far as I am aware they only serve bottled water. As for enforcing crazy laws I love Sweden for that. Dogs on leads, drink driving, litter etc etc. love to live there only for the long winters brrrrr.

Sweden is - as far as I remember - a member of the European Union. Therefore: even if customs would be bothered to check you luggage they definitely would not confiscate it. You would need to bring well in excess of any luggage allowance to be in excess of any customs allowances.
[broken link removed]
Food stuffs of animal origin, e.g. meat, fish and shellfish

There are in general no restrictions on bringing food stuff for personal use from another EU-country (and Norway) to Sweden. One exemption is a maximum limit of 15 kg of fish. Food stuff from a country outside of the EU can not be brought to Sweden without a permit from the Swedish Board of Agriculture.

New irish man, thats good to know. I thought being meat there might b a problem as I also slip in the occasional bit of steak. It's amazing,
it seems how tasty the Irish bit of meat tastes when one is away from home.

Clubman, my son will love you for that info re animal produce, of course the bill for the extra kgs will be my problem:)

First hit in the Google search results for "travelling to Sweden" and "meat" right now anyway... Not rocket science. :)

First hit in the Google search results for "travelling to Sweden" and "meat" right now anyway... Not rocket science. :)

Maybe I am too old school - I tried to remember what I have read without relying on this modernish interweb stuff.

Oh but clubman, my offspring, and other folk on here, not as IT intell as u younger folk and its sooooooooo helpful that u are so generous with your time an research. Thank u

"Of course I have to pay a high price for water air side. "

Not so! Just bring an empty bottle through security and fill it up at a drinking fountain before you board.

pansyflower, please tell me where I'll find a drinking fountain in Dublin a/port and I'll be delighted to fill up!!

After security. Go to Pier B, the circular one.

[broken link removed]

Keep going round until you spot it, it's there on the inner wall, near the toilets.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Back