Taking car of the road. Tax & NCT implications.

3CC

Hi,

Have an older car that we do not need right now but will probably need again in a couple of years. Not worth sellling it so I am thinking of parking it up for the interim.

Does anyone know what the implications are in terms of NCT and tax. I am hoping I can cancel the tax and recommence when we start using it again. Is there a form to be filled in by the gaurds?

I presume the NCT will just need to be redone when the time comes.

Any thoughts welcome and appreciated.

Existing tax and NCT will both run their course. You cannot suspend either.

Not sure about the NCT but you can get a refund of road tax under certain circumstances and you do not have to pay tax if your car is off the road as long as you get the relevant form signed by a Garda.

Forms and further info are available here:

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/

"A vehicle in respect of which a tax disc has been taken out has not been used in a public place at any time since the issue of the disc"

This suggest you can only get a refund if the car was never driven on a public road since the date of issue of your current tax disc.

You can in very limited circumstances. One that I once used was where a car is destroyed. There has to be at least 3 full months left on the tax to get a refund.

I was just using that as an example of one of the limited times you can get a tax refund.

Back