Take scrappage deal or wait another year?

StaroftheSea

Hi,

I'm driving a 10 year old car with 116 000 on the clock. Just passed NCT, so it's good for another 2 years. Car Is not worth much, as the bodywork is not in great shape.

If I was to buy a new car now, I could use the scrappage deal. (..but I would have to buy new...)

If I was to wait til next year, there might not be any scrappage deal available. (but I could buy secondhand....)

I always was intending to keep this car for as long as possible, as it does for me exactly what a new car would do, hence I can't justify throwing money away on a new one (or new second hand etc....)

However considering the age of the car, and the potential for problems etc....coupled with the scrappage deal offer etc, have I arrived at a stage whereby it makes more sense financially for me to change now, rather than wait til next year?

When I do decide to change, I would be looking to spend no more than 20k in total.....

Thanks in advance,

Keep it, ideally till it dies then go second hand.

Even with the scrapage deals the worst depreciation is always in the first year or two.

If we could all get over the idea of buying ew banger nomics would be the way to go.

+ 1

What you gain in scrappage you'll lose in depreciation and you'll have a big outlay buying new.

And that's before you get paranoid about scratches!

I was a new car guy for a long time .... eventually learned my lesson.

I am the opposite. There is tremendous competition out there brought on by this scrappage deal. You can really bargain hard.
A new car could get you cheaper motor tax. something only a post 08 car can deliver so you should factor this into your car cost. The scrappage scheme will not be renewed.
If the Euro weakens further it may push up prices also. Get a new car with 3 year warranty trouble free and newest technology.

Why do you think the scrappage scheme will not go for another year?

Surely with deflation and lowering wages the cost of cars both new and secondhand will not rise??

I dont think the government will extend it. They gave it a year so what ever good effect it is to have will be done by then..so why would they.?

If the Euro weakens further (as expected) the cost of materials will be higher when exchanged with the Euro making some goods more expensive. Canon camera's actually increased in cost over the last year due to the yen.
Dealers are really competing at the moment just for market share. Some models are been sold close to cost. Renault are prime example. On a Clio royal there is only 300 odd euro VRT so the price deduction is all renault discount. This is just to get people driving Renaults with little profit. I cant see it lasting.
I spoke to a guy in a VW dealership who was saying if you bought a new Polo 3 years ago you would be lucky to come away under 16k. now you can get 12800 if you have a car to scrap on their new model polo and even 11k for old model. (And no I was not looking at cars just in garage in work capacity). Opel have very large discounts also.

hmmmm.....ok thanks for that Ceatharlch.....you're making a good argument for me to change now..... Does anyone else have anything to add before I go sprinting off to the locall car dealership......!

I'm still finding it difficult to believe that car prices might increase next year with or without scrappage. I just don't see us as a nation having the disposable income to fuel this......however......

If the Euro weakens further (as expected) the cost of materials will be higher when exchanged with the Euro making some goods more expensive. Canon camera's actually increased in cost over the last year due to the yen.
So if this happens, you'd be far better of buying €20k worth of Yen.

Buying new cars in Ireland is a mug's game, IMO, unless you got loads of money and particularly like cars. New cars are so 2006

I would rather pay off some money off of the mortgage than hand over all that VRT.

a bit of a generality there.. you taxi driver?

I was making a point how currency fluctations can have effect on the price of goods.