Swords - Brides Glen, Bunbury Gate, Sandford Wood

Mary_K

I'm current looking to buy a house in Swords and have gone after three semis in the above areas but the prices seem to be rocketing. Six weeks ago the 3 bed semis were asking 365000 now they are asking 400000 with one having gone for excess 440000 recently - for a 3 bed semi! They are nice houses in a nice estate but still. Does anybody know these areas? Is the demand really that big for these type of houses or is it being hyped by the estate agents. I'm thinking of hanging on to see if things level off but at this rate, the 3 bed houses seem to be increasing by about 10,000 every fortnight! I'm afraid that if I do hang on even these houses will be gone beyond my reach. Is the spring traditionally a time when houses level off or are they set to increase more?

I would be inclined to think that waiting isn't the best idea. My opinion is that most people would start looking from march onwards - brighter evenings , 'warmer' weather , so the basic economy of demand vs supply would dictate that house prices won't decrease.
Its only my opinion- however;) -

Ive noticed the price increase in Swords myself. Since the announcement of the Metro, which will be years away the house prices have rocketed. My advice would be to buy now to same some money.

MaryK - we were shopping for a house in those three estates last year. Either they were snapped up before we even got a chance to bid or they went right out of our budget. We did secure a house in Glen Ellen and then the buyer took it off the market after we had paid the booking deposit. The estate agent never even bother to tell us. Our solicitor found out by accident. We ended up buying a much bigger (and we think better) house in Meath and we are very happy there. In retrospect, I am glad that we didn't buy in Swords. There is further developement planned beside Bunbury Gate and the whole are is just getting so congested. I was looking at My Home.ie recently and a house we just missed in Sandford Wood is on the market again in the 380s - last summer same house was around 325 mark. I seriously don't think they are worth it. However in the end - it's up to you! If you really want to buy there I would buy asap before they rocket any more. Good luck!.

Danmo said:
We did secure a house in Glen Ellen and then the buyer took it off the market after we had paid the booking deposit. The estate agent never even bother to tell us. Our solicitor found out by accident.
Does that happen much? :confused:

I don't know. But basically once you have paid your booking deposit that doesn't guarantee you anything - not until contracts are exchanged so if seller changes mind - tough!

I bought just over 1 year ago in Swords for 250,000 and its gone well over 300 now. I do agree that Swords is highly priced and is getting crowded however Swords is no longer considered 'the sticks' and ultimately you must remember that a house is an investment plus travel and facilities, etc are all factors.

Property is the one thing that is guaranteed to increase at the moment and within Dublin is increasing by 10% per annum at a minimum. Swords has increased by 25% in the past year. What does that tell you?

I know people that have bought in Drogheda and Navan. Very nice houses and better than mine however mine is the one increasing in price at the highest level and as we work in the city centre they actually stay over in peoples places rather than travel all the time.

I have a friend living in Brides Glen and she is very happy with the estate, the houses and the area in general. Some of the gardens are no more than a patch of grass but I suppose that might apply to many new estates. There are some with decent gardens. To answer your question Mary_K, I would definitely agree with Upstihaggity and buy now and not wait.

Back