switching to Ulster Bank - Covid19 Declaration & Wage Subsidy Issue

dovetail

Hello, in the process of switching loan to Ulster bank.

12th March – solicitor received loan pack from Ulster bank
1st week April – solicitor received title deeds from current loan provider
6th May – I signed all the loan documents at solicitor's office (delay in signing due to physical distance measures being put in place at the office)

The day before my signing, Ulster Bank contacted me to request that I submit March and April current account statements, and to also sign a Covid 19 declaration document confirming with explanation if my income / employment had been impacted by C-19. Before I signed this declaration, I asked UB over the phone if C-19 change in circumstance would have any impact on the loan offer, they said that it would be highly unlikely, but that if I had have been on the C-19 Unemployment Payment then that scenario would more than likely affect the application. I signed back to document with the recent ststmentsand advised that my employer has availed of the C-19 wage subsidy scheme.

UB called me today to say that the mortgage draw-down request had been received from my solicitor BUT that since yesterday UB have changed their policy towards applicants who are supported by Covid 19 wage subsidy scheme! Such applicants are now being assessed as receiving Covid 19 Unemployment Payment. I am asked what can I do now to satisfy UB last minute revised policy? I was told that if I can submit a wage slip that shows the reinstatement of full salary paid by my employer, then that should be sufficient. I don’t expect my employer to be in a position to pay full salary without the subsidy until June or July time. He said he would check internally and get back to me.

I have accepted and signed the loan offer documents from Ulster Bank. Can they legally request more documents at this stage?

Can they legally request more documents at this stage
Legally, yes.

There's always a clause that allows a bank to withdraw a mortgage loan offer where there's a material adverse change in the borrower's financial circumstances. I'm not sure how UB word theirs, but you'll find it in the terms and conditions attached to the loan offer. There should be a whole section covering 'withdrawal of offer'. You'll need to read it and check the wording.

Legally, yes.

Thank you for the reply! I checked and found the information. The deeds of the house and the loan offer documents I signed will hang in limbo until there is a point where payroll returns to normal (fingers crossed), and I can produce a payslip that shows as such.

Annotation 2020-05-15 221654.png

@dovetail
Sorry it wasn't better news.
Maybe they'll get to a point where a letter from your employer will be enough once restrictions start easing, rather than waiting til a payday.

I was approved in principle for a switch to Ulster in early March, initially for 2.2% and currently on 3% with EBS so was very happy with that. I had a few years left so was due to pay a break fee of circa 3k which was fine.

I had switched last year and at the time valuation was 450K at the time but the valuation this year came in at 400k and 340K outstanding balance which should have still qualified me for their 2.6% for 2 years as it was 90% LTV which I would have still gone with. But then they came back saying they could only offer me the 2.8% at 5 years which I would not take.

I made the point that using their own calculator on their website i did qualify for 2.6% at 2 years and they made a flimsy excuse. I have not been affected at all from COV-19 as of yet anyway. It seems UB don't want any new lending at the moment.

@dovetail did you get to progress?
No progress unfortunately. UB said that they will sign their part of the documents once I submit a payslip from that shows full payment from my employer and without wage subsidy payment. In the mean time I started an application with KBC. KBC require minimum 2 payslips with same without wage subsidy payments in order for the application to proceed.

Sorry to hear. We are in a similar boat. I thought something was going to happen following AIB announcement last week but it doesnt seem to be moving the way much more

Back