Switching insurance to new car

lyonsa3

I am buying a new car and will be switching my policy from my current car to the new car. The insurance company have told me that if there is no policy on my old car, nobody car can drive it.
We will be selling old car privately so does that mean anybody test driving the car will not be covered with their own insurance?

if the person who is test driving it has their own policy and has the extension to drive anyone elses car third party then they are covered. The onus is on you though to make sure they are insured.
There was a case here a few weeks ago where a guy had a car out for a test drive and crashed. The owner of the car got a fine as it was also her responsibility to make sure anyone driving her car was insured. You could ask to see the persons certificate of insurance.
Under "vehicle or class of vehicle covered" there should be 2 paragraphs. One should have the persons own registration details and the second should say something along the lines of "any motor car being driven by the insured provided such vehicle does not belong to him/her and is not hired to him/her etc etc".

But in the case mentioned above does the car not have to be insured?
I'm pretty sure it mentions something like
"any motor car being driven by the insured provided such vehicle is insured and does not belong to him/her and is not hired to him/her"

But in the case mentioned above does the car not have to be insured?
I'm pretty sure it mentions something like
"any motor car being driven by the insured provided such vehicle is insured and does not belong to him/her and is not hired to him/her"

I've never seen the "provided such vehicle is insured" section on a cert. It does have to be taxed and have a valid NCT (for legal purposes) but the insurance is covered by the driving of other vehicles on the other persons cert. Double check to make sure it doesn't have the above condition attatched to the DOV.

For driving other cars my policy states
"Any motor car been driven by the insured provided such vehicle does not belong to him and is not hired to him under HP or under a contract of lease hire or contract hire".

If your old car is of any value, you should consider having it insured. I recently changed cars and changed my insurance over to the new one. I was able to insure the old one for a month until I sold it. It cost about €100 fully comp.

I have sold my old car privately and would never do it again. It was only 3 years old and in a great condition but I wished a million times that I simply traded it in.

Anyway, you should have your old car insured at least for fire and theft if not for driving. I didn't have my old insured but I made sure that anyone test driving it stayed in the housing estate (less chance of an accident I hope) and I did explain to test drivers that the car was not insured. That didn't seem to be a problem.

I have sold my old car privately and would never do it again. It was only 3 years old and in a great condition but I wished a million times that I simply traded it in.

Anyway, you should have your old car insured at least for fire and theft if not for driving. I didn't have my old insured but I made sure that anyone test driving it stayed in the housing estate (less chance of an accident I hope) and I did explain to test drivers that the car was not insured. That didn't seem to be a problem.

But you can be prosecuted for allowing somebody to drive your vehicle uninsured. Being in a housing estate still means you have to insure it or make sure that the person test driving is insured.

Back