Switching from Prepay Power

Daddy Ireland

I find Prepay Power is expensive. Not in contract. No electric appliances on since April 13th. Meter read at time minus 7 euro. I believe they allow up to 10 euro emergency credit. Checked house last night and now it's minus 37. I would have thought prepay means when you run out you run out. Anyone know why charges keep ticking up on the meter. I will call them Monday but just wondering if anyone had a quick answer.

Even without using any electricity, you still have to pay the following, which all add up daily:
Standing charge
Prepay service charge
Public service obligation levy

The last time I looked it was just under a euro per day (something like 330 per year).

Thanks for quick reply. I see and 30 euro in 27 days means a bit more but roughly ties in with your findings.
Would you know if I don't want to use Prepay Power meter any more and want to switch to another provider what way does it work. Is it simply a case of calling up a new provider and would there be any cost involved in removing the old prepay meter or can it just be left on the wall ?

You can get the prepay power meter removed. It should cost you nothing but you will have a bit of a fight.
I had a tenant put it in without permission and it took many calls to get it removed. There was a person here who helped me with this. You are paying higher service charges as well as rates as Redonion said.
Contact prepay and ask to get it removed.
Keep a log of all calls. The person will remove the wire and box from the wall in your house from your fuse box.
Then contact a new provider and ask for a payment card. You can then add say €25per week or so on the card in the post office. You will still get a bill but you have been paying towards your account It should not be too big. You can do level pay and pay and average amount each month.
Normally once you use up the 5euro credit the electric with switch off but due to covid credit has been extended. When you put money on the card now part the arrears of 37euros will be paid and you will be left with a small credit if any.

Back