Switching From Copper to Plastic Piping

johnnyapple

My incoming water pH is 6.7, and is wasting away the copper, especially from the immersion, the water smells very metallic. I want to switch to Qual-Pex to replace the copper piping, but what about the immersion? Stainless steel? I have the regular vented attic tank system. Please help!

Do you know what the recommended Ph for water is,maybe a look at local healthbord or county council site may provide this info.
Maybe treating the water as it enters the house would be another solution.

I am not sure if qualpex would withstand the acid any more that the copper, others may better advise you of this.

Did you get a reputable company to test the water? the health board will test it for you for a fee, have your neighbours similar problems?

Well, any pH below neutral (7.0) will cause some level of corrosion over time, and 6.7 is quite bad for a mains water line. From what I hear, plastic piping is naturally resistant to acidic water, and since mine is not too acidic, it should be effective. The metallic copper smell off the hot water is very offputting, it seems unnatural to be using water that contains high copper levels.

Back