Switching Electric Provider on renewal mid November.

Odea

I plan to switch my Electricity provider mid November from Bord Gais to Electric Ireland.

Can I do this now by contacting my new provider and asking them to implement the switch on end of contract date or do I have to wait until the contract date to do the switch?

I understand that the government will be making a payment to us this month (?) to help with our energy costs. Any idea when this will happen?

If my account goes in to credit because of this payment how do I get the payment back from my existing provider before I make the switch?

If the government makes the payment after I make the switch how do I inform them that I have switched provider?

I switched the year before last just as one of the credits was being applied. Led to a lot of confusion as although I was with my new supplier before the credit was applied the process of switchover lasted about 10 days so ESB Networks paid the credit to my old supplier. The old supplier refunded me the credit but then a couple of days later claimed I was in arrears and started to send threatening letters. Took a call to the regulator and ESB Networks to resolve before the old supplier eventually rescinded their arrears claim. My advice would be to avoid switching for two weeks before a credit is due to be applied.

You should contact your new supplier one day after your contract is up.
If you decline the 14 day waiting period, the switch should happen on that day?

The Gov credits are due to be applied before and after Christmas?

Your existing supplier will pay your bank account whatever you're in credit.

The suppliers do the informing for you!

I plan to switch my Electricity provider mid November from Bord Gais to Electric Ireland.

As @charlie007 says above it would probably be best to hold off on the move until after the date. They might not hold off with the move until your requested date and you would possibly incur the €50 breach of contract fee.

Another point is that you don't know what deals are going to come about between now and then. I moved provider and then very good deals of 25% discount with Bord Gais (remember that @Protocol) came around on Halloween week-end last year and lots of people dived on it as they used it like a Black Friday deal. Needless to say I moved back (within my 14 days cooling off period) but it was painful I also got caught up with the credit but Energia refunded it no problem.

Make sure to look at www.energypal.ie regularly between now and then to ensure that you are getting the best deal.

Contact BG now and tell them you intend to move. They should offer you some kind of deal.
I did but they could not come near at least 3 other offers that were available. 29c per kWh offered, but 25c per kWh available. Also €100 cash offered from Electric Ireland, compared to €50 to stay with Bord Gais.............. Bord Gais fixed charge lower than others though but €100 will take care of that.