Switching Credit Cards

dfg75

If I switch credit cards from one company to another this month, do I have to pay the 40 Euro stamp duty on both cards for 2007/8? Just curious as I would like to switch banks.

Thanks Clubman. Very helpful. Do you know do I have to wait to recieve the closing letter before I should open the new account or can I start to open the new account now and then when I get the closing letter (which could take a few weeks) forward it on to the new bank?

Thanks again.

Do you know do I have to wait to recieve the closing letter before I should open the new account or can I start to open the new account now and then when I get the closing letter (which could take a few weeks) forward it on to the new bank?
Er, did you actually read that link?

Clubman,
I did read the post. I think you may have misunderstood my question. Must you wait for the closing letter to open the new account or would it suffice to start opening the new account while the other is in the process of being closed? I ask this question because I do not want to have a period without the use of a credit card. I just want to make sure that if there is an overlap as stated above that I will not be liable for stamp duty on two cards. It is not as if I am doing a switcher current account which theoretically elimates the loss of current account services in the switch. I am switch from lets say BOI to MBNA for example.

u can open the new account and ask for a balance transfer, this way u won't be without a card.
if not transfering balance, still open new account, close old one and get the letter, forward it to your new bank, they won't charge u for the new account staright away anyway

Dublinli.

All clear! Opened the new account this afternoon. Thanks a million for your quick reply.