Switching Broadband from Eircom to BT

legend99

Have any made that switch first hand? Have seen conflicting posts on boards.ie saying you will/won't have weeks of outage etc etc - can't afford to be out at all so would need seemless switch...

yes, I switched a few years back. It only took about a day for the initial switch to take place. However, I subsequently moved house, and it took them months to move the broadband (from one address to the other, both with BT). After that they cut me off because the bills & payment reminders continued to be sent to the old address!

This is a problem for BT ... You move house & you must first get a new line from Eircom & then transfer to BT..
It really is time Comreg get this sorted. I know it was in the courts but its wrong that Eircom have this hold on people.
The same will apply if you wish to change frem BT to another provider

I did it and it was relatively painless.
Few things to watch out for is when setting up the modem your asked for a password which they did not give to me or email me (even though when ringing about it they said I should have been given one) so I had to wait a day for this to be sorted.
Also the first few bills I got were all over the place in the sense they were biling me for the incorrect packages and calls. This took few bills to sort out but I did get a letter of apology and a nice box of handmade chocs.
So far so good.
Worth it financially if you get the phone package - well it is for me.

The Passwords are all the same arn't they?
Or is that just with Eircom?

I always had the internet access (dial up initially and then broadband) with BT Ireland. As stated above I also had long drawn out problem with being overcharged (discounts not being applied) and finally had to take the matter up with COMREG. About 3years ago I transferred line rental and calls to them as part of a package. For a brief spell last winter I migrated to Eircom (for some unknown reason the broadband was not changed over) but went back to Bt and never had a minute without service.

One problem was that BT didnt know I still had broadband access with them and even though I advised them several times they still kept billing me for calls and line rental only. I finally got it sorted but only after I contacted COMREG again.

All in all their packages, in my opinion, are just about the best on the market and the broadband service is nearly uninterrupted but if you hit a problem with them especially in relation to billing then be prepared for the long slog.

In summary their service and packages are good but their customer care is pure shite.