Switching Broadband from Eircom to BT

legend99

Have any made that switch first hand? Have seen conflicting posts on boards.ie saying you will/won't have weeks of outage etc etc - can't afford to be out at all so would need seemless switch...

yes, I switched a few years back. It only took about a day for the initial switch to take place. However, I subsequently moved house, and it took them months to move the broadband (from one address to the other, both with BT). After that they cut me off because the bills & payment reminders continued to be sent to the old address!

This is a problem for BT ... You move house & you must first get a new line from Eircom & then transfer to BT..
It really is time Comreg get this sorted. I know it was in the courts but its wrong that Eircom have this hold on people.
The same will apply if you wish to change frem BT to another provider

I did it and it was relatively painless.
Few things to watch out for is when setting up the modem your asked for a password which they did not give to me or email me (even though when ringing about it they said I should have been given one) so I had to wait a day for this to be sorted.
Also the first few bills I got were all over the place in the sense they were biling me for the incorrect packages and calls. This took few bills to sort out but I did get a letter of apology and a nice box of handmade chocs.
So far so good.
Worth it financially if you get the phone package - well it is for me.

I did it and it was relatively painless.
Few things to watch out for is when setting up the modem your asked for a password which they did not give to me or email me (even though when ringing about it they said I should have been given one) so I had to wait a day for this to be sorted.
Also the first few bills I got were all over the place in the sense they were biling me for the incorrect packages and calls. This took few bills to sort out but I did get a letter of apology and a nice box of handmade chocs.
So far so good.
Worth it financially if you get the phone package - well it is for me.
The Passwords are all the same arn't they?
Or is that just with Eircom?

I always had the internet access (dial up initially and then broadband) with BT Ireland. As stated above I also had long drawn out problem with being overcharged (discounts not being applied) and finally had to take the matter up with COMREG. About 3years ago I transferred line rental and calls to them as part of a package. For a brief spell last winter I migrated to Eircom (for some unknown reason the broadband was not changed over) but went back to Bt and never had a minute without service.

One problem was that BT didnt know I still had broadband access with them and even though I advised them several times they still kept billing me for calls and line rental only. I finally got it sorted but only after I contacted COMREG again.

All in all their packages, in my opinion, are just about the best on the market and the broadband service is nearly uninterrupted but if you hit a problem with them especially in relation to billing then be prepared for the long slog.

In summary their service and packages are good but their customer care is pure shite.

Back