Switching accounts, some direct debits not switched

bond-007

I recently switched my current account from AIB to Postbank. As part of the switching process all direct debits were meant to be switched over to the new account. It now appears that about 50% of the direct debits did not switch over at all and I have had some nasty letters from Sky etc asking why they have not been paid.

I assumed that because say Sky's DD is listed as a DD in Postbank that it would be paid. There is enough money in the account.

However I did notice that some of my DD's wrote to me advising that they had my new details. Some didn't.

Is this a fault of switching or a fault of the DD originator?

Who is responsilble for telling DD originators? The loosing bank or the new bank?

It seems to me that switching is less than user friendly process that is full of hidden flaws.

I moved from AIB to Halifax and had a few teething problems. Some companies won't accept the letter that Halifax send them informing them of the new account details. Others (NTL) couldn't take DDs from Halifax for some reason - that took months to sort out.

Account Switching should be billed as a convenient aid but nothing more.

It is the responsibility of the old bank to inform all DD Originators of the new bank details. In most banks this is an automated process which creates an advice for the originator. Its quiet possible that the Originators in this case did not action the advice from the old bank

Thanks but there is nothing there I didn't know previously.

It seems likely that Sky being Sky simply ignored any advice received and proceeded to try and debit the wrong account. Perhaps they are not set up to change DD details in that manner?

Back