Swim Clubs

elainem

My daughter who is nine has just got into a swimming club. It's a big commitment - training 3 times a week. I don't know anything about swimming clubs, but just wondered will it be worth all this commitment? The club talked about squads and competitions. Don't know anything about swimming at this level and just wondered if anyone here can advise. Thanks.

....will it be worth all this commitment?

I think it will be. Swimming is one of those exercises for life. Ive just come from a swim myself and there were people there in their 60s or 70s having a swim. Its a great activity for people to keep on doing into old age. Then of course there are the benefits of knowing how to swim, Ive been on hols with people who wont go near the pool and they are really missing out on a pleasurable activity.

Its good for kids to be involved in sport, and swimming is a safer sport than many, non impact, non weight bearing, great for the heart and lungs. Ive nothing negative to say about it!!!

The only thing I would say for a 9 year old is that they should also be doing some weight bearing activity at that age to assist with bone development - although Im sure if she is doing PE in school thats covered.

Is there any particular reason you would feel it isnt worth it for her to be in a swim club?

Swim Club?

Hi! Truthseeker, thanks for your reply. I'm one of those people who won't go near water!!! I'm just worried in terms of the commitment. It's 6 hours a week between Tue, Wed and Sat. I'm worried that it might be too tiring for her - though she loves swimming - but am also worried about the commitment to it as she has to make 75% of sessions and I'm on my own - so just the logistics, but I appreciate what you say about swimming being such great exercise. Thanks again.

Im 27 years older than your daughter and I swim around 6 hours a week - its not too tiring

You will know yourself if she starts dragging her heels and not wanting to go. Id let her lead the way. I used to get brought to a similar amount of swimming at her age - I never remember it being a problem in terms of being tired.

For logistics - could you see if you could share with another mum or two, and take turns bringing kids to it?

Three of my kids are in a swim club. The oldest swims 6 days a week. The other two swim 3 days a week. It is a big commitment (along with their other activities) but it is great exercise.

Hi Elaine, I swam in a club from about age 8 to 16 and loved every minute of it. I made friends that I am still in touch with and it was brilliant exercise that I still enjoy today

It is a big commitment on your part as there is a lot of dropping/collecting involved, even harder if it is early morning sessions as it often is, I was able to walk to school after which at least elimated one run for my parents! If there are others you could share runs with that would ease the load a lot and provides motivation when you don't particularly feel like going

I never remember finding it difficult, when it did become too much and I needed to focus on my leaving cert I training as a lifeguard and competed in watersafety competitions through my club which again were great fun and did not require the same level of fitness and training

G*

I've always wondered what swimmers talk to other swimmers about.I swam overarm for 20 goes, hit the wall,swam overarm for 20 goes, hit the wall,swam overarm for 20 goes, hit the wall ...

One of the other advantages of being a good swimmer can be bringing in some pocket money in later teenage years if she trains as a lifeguard or swimming teacher - in my day it was one of the most lucrative part time jobs!

Swim Club

Hi! everyone, thanks for all your helpful. My daughter has now been to the swim club every night this week - no more untill next week, T.G. - and loves it.

Millieforbes - yes I did think of the fact that lifeguard/swimming instructor would be a help to get her to college - glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that!

Thanks agian.

I would say that having your children involved in any club is a great advantage for life! Especially a club that takes the sport/activity seriously and later give the opportunity for coaching etc (swimming has the added advantage of the life guards, many of my friends relied on this work during their college years)!

Although, I do share the concerns of the OP my daughter is also into swimming along with other activities and it is difficult trying to ensure that she gets enough rest in!

Swimming classes

Can I ask is there a mazimum number of children aged 8 to 9 that one teacher can take for a swimming class and would the number vary for the different grades or levels. Are there rules governing such things ? Thanks for any info.