Swan injured by firework

I was distraught when I read the story.

I get distraught then I read about little girls having the labia and clitoris forcefully cut off with a machete in Sudan... while this happens I could never feel the same way about an animal being killed.

I get distraught then I read about little girls having the labia and clitoris forcefully cut off with a machete in Sudan... while this happens I could never feel the same way about an animal being killed.

Well I guess we all have our own levels of what we would get distraught over. Mine must be considerably lower than yours.

The people who committed this crime should be permanently taken off our streets. There is no greed or desperation behind this crime - it was pure evil.

Last edited by a moderator:

I absolutely agree. However there is a difference in the mindset of these people. Genital mutilation is being done according to religious beliefs and tradition (not that that in any way justifies it). Intentional acts of cruelty designed to cause pain and agony, like the attack on the swan, for amusement, are a different thing and far more worrying to me as it means someone gets pleasure from watching a living creature suffer.

I absolutely agree. However there is a difference in the mindset of these people. Genital mutilation is being done according to religious beliefs and tradition (not that that in any way justifies it).

Yes, but when you and your children are Christian and a Muslim militia comes into your village, kills all the men and then mutilates the girls with machetes it's not a consensual religious act. That’s the reality on the ground in Sudan.
While attacks on swans are terrible it’s far more disturbing that the horrific mutilation of children doesn’t warrant any air time.

Of course but there are plenty of horrific things that don't get the attention and outcry that they should. I suppose what caught the public attention about the swan was a combination of the firework season getting started and also what I was shocked at was the fact that the dspca inspector was warned by onlookers that it wasn't safe to stay in the area. The idea that someone would attack someone trying to hep the animal is frightening!