SUV / 4x4 for flooded roads

C

Cariosa

Any tips on a good used SUV or 4x4 that would be good for getting kids to school when our rural roads flood (seems to happen after a few minutes of rain)? We’re happy with our family car but I’m afraid of wrecking it if I have to drive through standing water. Can anyone recommend something with better clearance that would be good in this situation? Thanks

It might be better to talk to your local councillor/local council and have the road made safe for you to traverse it ?

Take a look at Huyundai, they have the Tuscon (which I have) and the larger Santa Fe. I was getting through flooded roads last week that regular sized cars were turning away from. Just mind the poor souls around you as you drive through cos you generate a lot of splash and movement which could cause problems for people or property to the side of the road.

I hope you're not the idiot who tried to drive at speed through the flooded part of the M4 on the evening of the Dublin-Tyrone game and ended up getting stuck & blocking the M4 for over an hour

You should consider what type of driving you do and what other capabilities you need.

Plenty of Space
High Ground Clearance
Driving through regularly flooded roads -- definitely get a vehicle with 4 wheel drive.
Also consider if you want petrol or diesel. Diesel gives you greater engine torque therefore greater pulling power for towing, however they cost more.

If you only do low mileage then a petrol would be fine.

I have a Nissan x-trail and what I really like is its just a case of pushing a button to switch between 2 wheel driver, 4 wheel drive (if needed), or lock into 4 wheel drive. Decent ground clearance but not too much and plenty of room to carry 5 adults comfortably with adquate boot space.

I would tend to avoid suv's who have their spare tyre on the back.

Rav4 is always the reliable choice and the newer model 06 - onwards is very good, mywife had the 2.2 d4d, 6 gears always did 42 - 45 mpg and had an electronic 4 x 4 that detected slippage. She loved it wasn't to big and easy to park , the power steering is so light in them!

Any tips on a good used helicopter that would be good for getting kids to school when our roads are busy?...
We’re happy with our family jet but I’m afraid of wrecking it as I'll have to land in the schoolyard through standing children. Can anyone recommend something with shorter take-off/landing that would be good in this situation? Thanks

I think the harrier jump jet would be ideal. Its also fairly reasonably priced and I'm sure you could source a few second hand ones in the UK.

How deep is this water?

I drove an elderly Corolla through a flood between Santry and Ballymun on 'the day after tomorrow' Saturday several weeks ago and it survived just fine...

... tho I hope the wxxker who drove straight into the flood in the other direction in a Yaris, causing water to flood over the top of my car's bonnet, and then gave me the finger, ended up getting stuck. I didn't look back to check such was my relief at making it to the other side in one piece.

Buying an expensive SUV is a high price to pay for going through deep puddles on the school run.

Some Citroens have variable height suspension that is designed for these sorts of eventualities - would save you having to fork out for what is generally an all-round more expensive type of car that you probably don't need save for the odd bit of flooding.

I'd stay away from french cars. You will more than likely have problems with electrics.

You might consider a people carrier (depending on size of family).

check out "Clarkson's Toyboata..."

Diesels are going to be more expensive but generally better in the flood IMO.
Hope the weather improves too...!

Rav 4 2.2 D4D great job, and not too big either. Would'nt part with mine, very comfortable on long journeys.

Thanks everyone who took the time to pass on your tips. I appreciate the guidance.

Loads of clearance under my Nissan Pathfinder & 7 seats too so you can take your kids mates to school too!