Suspended timber floors in a 1970's bunglow.

hayabusa

Can anyone help me on this.
I am renovating a 1970's bunglow which has suspended timber floors throughout, and gun barrell heating system. I am updating the gunbarrell to qualplex piping, this means pulling up all the T&G flooring, replacing piping and putting down new T & G boards.
Should I replace all the suspended timber floors with with fill and make them solid floors.
The current ones are ok, but there is a smell of dampness in some of the rooms, however no sign of any dampness in the house The outside footpaths have parted from the wall. Would this be the reason for the damp smell.

Hayabusa

If you have enough ventilation circulating under the suspended floors there should be no problem with damp - certainly not coming from the floor anyway.

Go around the perimeter of the house and make sure the vents low down are all unobstructed and not blocked deliberately.

Thanks Sherman,
No I have checked and all are clear.
I dont know is it a damp or musty smell. I removed a floor board from against the cavity wall. There appears to be dampness in the wall and some on the subfloor. Outside this wall there is no footpath, as this was originally a place to put barrells of flowers since the house was built, with a gravel only base. If i put in a footpath would it divert away any water fron going into the wall, thus eliminating dampness?

The footpath wouldn't reduce water ingress.
To do that you'll have to:
a. Reduce external ground level,
b. Install a French drain.

You should possibly get Protim to check the house if you're worried - for about €250 they check for any problems with rising damp/wet rot / dry rot and suggest solutions.

For what it's worth, I faced the same dilemma a couple of years ago. I took the plunge & put in a solid floor, and have never looked back. I was concerned with smells and draughts, and was doing work & thought what the hell. I dont see anybody putting in raised floors these days, must be for a good reason.

The reason there are no new suspended floors is that they cost a lot.

Actually suspended floors are sometimes used for upmarket houses - as they give they are more comfortable to walk on than concrete. Normally this is done by simply putting joists on a standard concrete floor - so they are not as deep as true suspended floors. Also it means one can't put in under floor heating (which a lot of more upmarket houses would have).

Thanks Folks,
The reason I want to change them is
1. Heat loss, No insulation under them,
2, Will have to replace the gunbarrell piping so floor boards have to com up anyway.
3. Dampness and smell, Solid floors will eliminate this.

Just a question for Bluespud,
I will have to fill approx 1.5 feet with fill, then DPC then insulation, then the concrete screed, then piping and then the final screed.
This is for a 1200 Sq foot house,
How much did yours cost. I will fill it and compact it myself.

Hi hayabusa,
I'm in a similar situation as yourself. Have you had any advice since?
You will probably have to take out the joists as well?
Have you considered underfloor heating?
Jim

Back