Suspended ceilings

Johnny Boy

I am going to install suspended ceilings in my new build because I have installed hollowcore. I going to do the job myself(I think!). Few things I want to find out, but the first question is where can I source the materials? If anyone has done this before or have any suggestions their comments would be appreciated

Are you going to install the type of tiles like in offices? My mum put one in at home (years ago) and it was awful. We had terrible foamy tiles stuck to the ceiling so put the suspended ceiling below this. Had to say, it looked just like an office.

no sheetrock I think that you drill holes in the hollowcore and install a metal rod you end up with a grid. I remember the ones you are talking about,as a kid we had something similar like aeroboard, they were the bad old days. I think this is simple enough.

Capco would be one of the mian suppliers but most of the larger builders providers should have materials for metal grid ceilings ( Brooks, Chadwicks etc)

Knuaf do them, as do gysum. They are available in most decent hardware stores. Not very difficult to do, you will need a lazer level, I had a B&D self leveling 360 degree one, which cost 100.

I was quoted 2500 to do mine, including materials. I bought the materials for around €900. It did take me a few weeks, in the evenings, and the company would have done it in probably less than two days, but sure, thats the idea of self build route, saving money.

i was in a house last night 3500 sq foot he had metal stud work installed a week ago €2500 2 guys started at 9 am and finished a 3pm .I made a few phone calls today and for me its fast and i would not have time or patience to do this myself.

There is no way that a ceiling that size can be done in 6 hours. what was in the cost of 2500, that seems very very cheap even if it was just for the labour

I have just had hollowcore first floor installed in a new build and I am currently wondering about suspended ceilings. How much of a drop should I allow for the finished suspended ceiling from the current hollowcore level? Are suspended metal grids the only/best option? - I have heard some people talk about battening.

Have you any recessed lights in the ceiling? You would need to leave enough room for the fittings (varies say 100mm) that would rule out battening. Metal grid would be quicker and easier, if the slabs are not laid neatly then there could be a lot of levelling in the battens. I dont think there would be a huge cost difference between the 2. I dont think there would be any major benifits in going with battens