Surveyer and Builder disagree!

valentine

Wondering if anyone has any expertise in Building Regulations. Our house is a new build and our survey says that the builder needs to "lower the external ground levels to the perimeter pathways to achieve a mimimum 150mm step difference between the internal finished floors and external ground." (ie you need a step up into the house!)

It seems to be to prevent damp and the surveyor says that it is building regulations, however the builder says that for disability access it should be left the way it is and has no desire to change it.

Both are sticking to their guns on this one!

My questions are as follows.
Any experts out there on Building Regulations - who is correct?... Or where should I begin looking?
If we leave the above as is could there be problems with damp or even reselling if the surveyor is right re building regulations?
Many thanks in advance

I know with our house it is a step up but once we put the screed on the on the inside floor and the paths around the outside it will just be a gentle slope. I wouls listen to your engineer as he is the one who will be signing off on it.

I'm with the builder on this one. Part M of the legally binding building regulations state "Adequate provision shall be made to enable people with disabilities, to safely and independently access and use a building". The http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/a137e0322d60e09780256f5d00504a79/$FILE/30184%20BR%20Disabillity%20M.pdf (Dept of Environment Technical Guidance Document) (TGD) outlines approaches to complying with the legislation. The TGD is not the only way to comply with the regulations, but the onus is on any builder who deviates from the TGD to show that he is complying with the regs.

In relation to entrances to dwellings, Section 1.21 of the TGD states "The main dwelling entrance, should be accessible to wheelchair users...The approach should have a clear unobstructed width of at least 900 mm and have a firm surface which is suitable for wheelchair use and reduces the risk of slipping. It should be level (slope not more than 1:50) or, where plot gradients do not allow this, gently sloping".

If the builders & his engineers & architects have done their job properly, they will have property damp coursing without requiring a stepped entrance. Ask the surveyor for his opinion on the TGD document for Part M. When he answers 'huh', show him a print out of the document and ask him again how he expects a stepped entrance to comply with the regulations.

Typo corrected - meant to say that I'm with the builder on this one.

When you say main access does that necessarily have to be the front door?

regarding the disabilty access it does not have to be at the front it also be at the back of the house. we have the footpaths all around and the rise up ramp like at the back door.

It can be any door but bear in mind that it must be the same level as the downstairs toilet.