Surround Sound

slookie

Hi all. Just after moving into my newly built house last weekend. Have a 42" Samsung plasma, that came with a stand and samsung DVD recorder. Now, the living room is wires for surround sound in the 4 corners. Can anyone advise on what kind of system to get. have done a search here but can't seem to find anything. Most packages seem to come with a DVD player, but I already have one...is it possible just to buy speakers etc on their own? Room is roughly 18 ft x 14 ft if that makes a difference. Not looking to spend more than €250.

Thanks in advance

In that price range, have a look something like this from Creative.

Make sure you know what kind of digital output your DVD player has (COAX or Optical) and then make sure the sound system has a corresponding input.

Looked it up online and says that it has 1 optical digital out, and 1 coaxial digital out??? Make sense? [broken link removed]

Then the tv specs are here. [broken link removed]

Sorry, not very good at this kind of thing. thanks

For surround sound off the DVD, you can ignore the TV. Just use a standard phono-plug coaxial cable to connect the digital out of the DVD player to the digital input of the amplifier which powers the speakers. Then wire up the speakers and position them.

I had an old Creative surround speaker system similar to the link I showed you, and it could take a coaxial digital input. But, looking at Creative's website just now, it's not obvious which of their kit has a digital input, so best ask in the shop.

At your budget, you'll only be able to afford that kind of setup, but they are pretty good value for money, the most expensive only being about €130.

An assistant in pc world told me that my Digital plasma tv had way stronger audio than any on sale in shop.
Therefore he said buying surround sound speakers would not improve anything

An assistant in pc world told me that my Digital plasma tv had way stronger audio than any on sale in shop.
Therefore he said buying surround sound speakers would not improve anything

Utter tosh !

Unless your TV has 500W Dolby Pro-Logic, that is....

Back