SuperValu Bicycles

eiregal

SuperValu have bikes at the moment for €99, does anyone know what these are like in terms of quality?

I don't know anything about these specific bikes, but in general, you'll get what you pay for. A lot of these bargain bikes tend to have low quality and non-standard parts and are very difficult to service. Expect lots of deep sighs, frowns and big estimates when you bring it into a bike shop for repairs. Have you considered spending may €150-€200 on a decent quality 2nd hand bike? This is a good time of year to buy, as many students return home from college and want to get rid of their bikes before they go.

Agree completely with Complainer - you do get what you pay for.

Expect such a cheap bike to be a bit slapdash - misaligned gears, bolts not tightened, cheap saddle - and for the moving parts to wear quite quickly if you use it every day.

I've heard that the trendy bikes with no saddlepost are particularly bad. Was in a bike shop getting my own (cheap) bike repaired and saw a notice on the wall with a picture of this type of bike and a disclaimer stating that the quality of materials and assembly was so poor that customer advice from the bike shop was that they'd do their best but that it might not be possible to effectively repair if they wear or break.

That's a decent pointer to say that these machines are for nothing other than occasional, light, leisure use.