Sunroom - what is correct procedure for moving manhole/shore and downpipes.

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
We're considering a sunroom and are in the very early stages of researching the project.

Can anyone tell me what is the normal procedure with regard to a manhole or shore that would be in the way. Is it necessary to move it and is planning permission required? We are an end house and therefore probably the end of the run.

I've never seen the inside of a sunroom and I'm just wondering what normally happens to the pipes running down the back of the house where the sunroom would go?

As we have a pebble dash finish on the outside of the house what would builders normally do to cover this up.

We want to have our facts ready before we start asking for quotes.

Thanks.

You really should get construction drawings done up by a competent professional. An architectural technician may do it as a nixer. shouldnt cost any more than 500-700 yo-yos. I assume it will be exempt from planning permission.

Any manhole cover should be moved to the side of the sunroom so as to still allow access. Best if there was a manhole at both sides if there are pipes running underneath where you are building. That way they can be rodded out easily if there are any problems.
Cannot think how planning permission would be needed.

The pipes running down the back of the house would probably be boxed in using a false wall.
The pebble dash should be removed and a proper plaster finish applied.

Are you planning on taking out a window to make the doorway? You might need to think about steel joists if you are enlarging an opening.

When we built sunroom the builder discovered soakaway in middle of garden under where sunroom was going. Had to move it to end of garden but regulations meant he had to keep it a certain distance from house and from wall and we got caught on distance. Not sure of the distances involved but after an architectural consult he got it sorted. Also pipes at back had to bemoved, was a reasonable but not difficult job and involved moving manhole too. A good builder with experience of extensions like this should have come across this before and be able to guide. Try and see other work builder has done of same type, we did and helped a lot.

On planning, generally once to rear of house and under 40sq mtrs with single storey only, is planning exempt but most co councils have the leaflets on this on their websites. THeres also some rule that a minimum amount of garden space be left afterwards. Check to be sure first. Builder will assume that you have planning for what you're putting up or are exempt from planning, its not his problem.

Either way, once done it'll be a major boost to life at home.

Back