Sun holiday for a week early August. (now a trip to Devon!)

Purple

I’m looking for a week away somewhere sunny leaving around the 11th or 12th of August.
It’ll be me and three of the kids as Mrs. Purple can’t take the time off.

I would like somewhere like Salou but it looks expensive for a week. Can anyone suggest anywhere? I’m looking to spend a maximum of €2’000 to €2’500 on flights and accommodation.

Why not try somewhere like Devon or Cornwall?, gorgeous at that time of the year, weather is normally pretty good, get the ferry over from Rosslare and drive down or fly into Exeter and hire a car.

That's a really good idea!
I was only sayign I'd love to see more of England the other day.

I don't know the area specifically but I have visited the Devon/Cornwall area many times and love it.

Very outdoors. Loads of great walking - that place is near the coastal path which is wonderful.

I suppose it depends on what the criteria are - if its outdoor, pootling ( thats a legal term !), pottering, rambling - it looks good.

What I call the the "ginger pop and hard boiled eggs" ( Enid Blyton being an enormous influence here) holiday.

mf

Try and get in a trip to Monkey World near Weymouth - it's fantastic for kids and adults alike.

Newquay is synonymous with surfing. Might be a good option for a day's activities with kids. We (me, the Mrs, 10yo boy, 8yo girl) took a surfing lesson last year in Donegal. Great fun for all, provided they're old enough.

Newquay is synonymous with surfing. Might be a good option for a day's activities with kids. We (me, the Mrs, 10yo boy, 8yo girl) took a surfing lesson last year in Donegal. Great fun for all, provided they're old enough.

Good idea. Rick Stein has a place in Newquay (thanks SoylentGreen) so maybe both in the same day. All of the kids are very strong swimmers and the youngest travelling is 8.

Purple, there was an article in the travel section of the Sunday Times yesterday covering the UK.
The south west was mentioned.
You might be able to retrieve it on line in case it had any useful info.

Devon was nice but Cornwall was fantastic. Went to Rick Stein's Bistro in Padstow. Fantastic meal for 4 people for £125. Everything is around 25-30% cheaper than Ireland.
The Eden Project is also well worth a visit.

Thanks for the update. I think that area is definitely on the cards for next year. Did you stop off enroute, stay in hotels/B&B's or rent?

Was that price for lunch or dinner?

Marion

Dinner, which included scallops, steak, monkfish, mussels and Calamari amongst other things as well as 1 glass of wine for me (the other three were under 13 so a bit young for wine). We all had starters but only 2 desserts and one coffee.

Thanks for the update. I think that area is definitely on the cards for next year. Did you stop off enroute, stay in hotels/B&B's or rent?

I stayed in Devon but if I was going again I'd stay in Cornwall. I didn't stop enroute as it's only a 4 hour drive. We stayed in a self cateing house.

Back