Sun holiday - end of Sept / start of Oct

gc2006

Hi all,

Due to work committments etc we're not going to get away until the end of Sept. Also will only have a week, maybe slightly more but definitely no more than 10 days. Are looking for sun and some heat. Also somewhere with nice beaches, not too crowded, and maybe some activities (water sports, tours etc).

So far we're thinking of either Egypt (Sharm El Sheikh), or maybe one of the canary islands.

Anyone any suggestions?

Having read posts here and heard recent media reports I would steer clear of countries like Egypt or Tunisia...being worried about your wife/girlfriend getting grief doesn't suggest holiday to me.

Try lanzarote and www.xl.com is a new website that seems cheap enough also you coan just book flights with them either and get the accom sorted yourself.

Lanzarote is lovely any time of the year. My friends were over last October and said it was still lovely and warm and not mad busy as its off season.

Lanzarote is lovely any time of the year. My friends were over last October and said it was still lovely and warm and not mad busy as its off season.

Must agree with this, LAnzarote has the quiet if you want it, the water sports / diving etc. , the interesting landscape if you want to tour and good food.

hi, i was going to say lanzorote, but ye all got there before me! its nice iv been there in november, its queiter and a lot cleaner than tererife and the likes.
also iv been to crete near hersonnosis and didnt like it at all i would definetely pick the canaries over greece.
i was hoping to go to eygpt this year but iv been put off by every one saying how they treat women so now im looking at dubrovnik!!!

Having read posts here and heard recent media reports I would steer clear of countries like Egypt or Tunisia...being worried about your wife/girlfriend getting grief doesn't suggest holiday to me.

Sharm El Sheikh is nowhere near as bad as the rest of Egypt. Yes you will have problems in places like Cairo or Aswan if you are a single woman or as a group of ladies but much less so on the Red Sea. If you are with a man, even in Cairo/Aswan it is not really a problem either.

Also in Sharm El Sheikh, the chances are that you will be spending a lot of time in an all-inclusive resort where the staff leave you alone. It is only if you go out on the streets where you may get hassle but Sharm is really quite harmless in comparison to Cairo.

Bottom line do not allow this to put you off. Sharm el Sheikh is a fantastic place particularly if you snorkel or dive. Sept/Oct or even later will still be grand weather wise. The summer months are unbearably hot anyway.

Forgive my scepticism but "nowhere near as bad" doesn't suggest a good holiday to me.
I find the very concept of women getting grief for the reasons outlined completely outrageous and deeply offensive.
My advice would be to swerve these places if you want to relax (which is the general idea after all!)

I would suggest Lanzarote aswell. Will be very nice that time of year. I would also mention tenerife but no where near as nice as lanzarote.

All I am saying is that something like this should not put you off going to a fantastic country like Egypt.

When I am referring to "nowhere near as bad", I am referring to general hassle on the streets, mostly trying to sell you crappy souveniers. I won't deny that women get a bit of extra attention particularly if not with a male companion, but mostly it is just harmless. Still, I would advise against females going on their own to Egypt unless you are going to resorts like Sharm.