Sun Holiday during October school holidays

Purple

I’m thinking about bringing the three oldest kids away for a week in October.
Tunisia looks good but can anyone think of anywhere interesting that kids (7, 8 & 12) would like that will be reasonably sunny at that time of year?
Looking to spend €500 per head (or less)

Hi Purple,
I went to Malta in October one year - beautiful weather, but whether the kids will find enough to interest them is another question. Didn't seem to be many beaches, more swimming pools.
Sybil

Tunisia should be good at that time. You could be lucky in the Eastern Med, Cyprus etc. but for reasonably guaranteed sun you're back to the auld Canaries I'd say. Weather there is pretty [broken link removed] and while you can be unlucky, there's a much greater chance of good weather than poor. Probably the big issue is keeping the three kids amused. There would be a greater number of attractions for them on GC or Tenerife than on Lanz or Fuerte but that too brings the greater degree of "liveliness" generally on GC & Tenerife. There would be the usual water parks etc. on each of the 4 main islands and if they're happy to spend days there and at beach then you're sorted. The only downside for that time is the inevitable increase in prices which will come with the mid-term period.
Another possible would be Barcelona with Port Aventura etc. so you could combine a bit of culture (wha' dat dad ? ) with a fine amusement park. Weather might be a bit less certain though.

Thanks for the replies.
We've been to Tunisia and I liked it. It was the first place I looked at this time.
I was in malta before and it was the worst holiday I was ever on. Worse food than communist Russia in the 90's. I'd pay money not to have to go there again.

We've also done the Canaries before. It's nice if a bit bland, other than when you're in the sea; the snorkeling is great there.

SE Spain, Andalusia, will still be nice in October - in fact it's still reasonably nice in December if a little cold at night.

Depending on the location, should be plenty for kids and adults alike - e.g. around Mojacár, Vera, Garrucha you have a decent water park, the area where the spaghetti westerns were shot (themed, tour etc) in Europe's only desert, great restaurants, great beaches and it's the traditional home of the chiringuito!

it's the traditional home of the chiringuito!

Probably the best food experience you can have in Spain. In June we were staying in a small traditional town east of Malaga called Torre del Mar . There were probably 20 or more chiringuitos along the beach front. Food was fantastic, the spit of BBQ'd sardines were something else. And you could not spend money there. One night we (4 adults) had, Bottle wine, litre sangria, tapas, meals for 4 ( to the point of bursting ) and for the grand total of €59.

Can you get a train or local bus from Malaga to Torre Del Mar. Sounds nice.

It's about 35km from Malaga to Torre del Mar. No train but probably a bus. There is quite a bit on the town here
and here

We stayed at the Hotel Proamar , booked through www.travelrepublic.ie and, believe it or not it came to €22 per night per person for half-board. The hotel had pool, etc and was very modern and was right on the seafront. You'd benefit from having a car to explore neighbouring areas. A weeks car hire should be no more than about €150. The beach is about 3km long but is quite pebbly at the waters edge. Be prepared to "hablar algo de Español" though as not much English spoken. This is very much a traditional Spanish resort. ( Think Tramore in the sun ) Some restaurants do have English language menus though and it's possible to muddle through ok.

Thanks Graham for the info and links. The prices for the Proamar have risen somewhat for the autumn. Interestingly as I was browsing Booking.com I was told that two others were browising the same hotel at the same time. The power of AAM?

Years ago myself and my brother went to tunisia with "Club Med". We stayed in in Djerba. It is a beautiful location and there are so many activities included with the price (sailing, windsurfing,tennis etc).As far as i can remember there are 2 Club med resorts, one is a bit more posh than the other. We had a straw hut on the beach so you can guess which one we were in!! I suppose you could call is a very upmarket Butlins. Dont know if they are still there but your kids would LOVE it, and we all know that if the kids are happy then.............