Summons yesterday, Court next Friday?

MrKeane

I have searched the other threads on summones but there are no specific details on this question. I got a summons yesterday for a minor motoring offence which occured in March and the summons was signed and dated back in August and the court appearance is next Friday. Not much time to get organised - what if I had holidays planned etc.?

My specific question is: Is there a minimum notice period they must give you for a court appearance or can they deliver the summons to you at the last minute.

You have 6 months from the date of offence to make an application for the summons so that is ok. I think it is 7 clear days (not working days)for the service of the summons (I've been trying to find an actual link here). If it is a case that you have holidays planned or something else you should contact the Guard in question and show proof of this and they may be able to get it adjourned to another date.

I am not going on holidays - just querying the lack of notice. If its 7 clear working days that required then they are in trouble.

The case is down for 11.30 am and I think that is the time that the Garda called. No record of the timing was agreed and I signed nothing but she did look a bit nervous - I sniffed that there was something fishy about the whole thing.

no 7 days not working days there is nothing to stop them serving a summons at the weekend or any time of the day. If you got it yesterday they served it on time. Maybe she's new and it was her first time serving a summons and that's why she was nervous.

So can a summons be ordered and it can take 2 months to be delivered ??

(Sorry to go off the point)

If its 6 months from the date of the offence to request for a summons is there a time limit within which the summons must then be issued?

Thanks

Back