Summons received for long left tenant unpaid TV licence

widescreen

Appreciate opinion please.

Previous tenancy in my rental hse was from May 12 - May 13. Tenant proved troublesome etc and left just before end of lease. Hse being sold at moment.

Noticed a letter there a couple of days ago addressed to someone that never stayed in the house and no indication on letter as to who it was from.No other neighbours with same name. Decided to open it with a view to returning same to sender.

The letter was a summons sent from a solicitor for this person to appear in court in a couple of mths time for non payment of tv license on a date during the last tenancy.I think its very possible the real tenant gave a false name.

FYI tenancy lease clearly spelt out the rules re the TV licence etc.

Anyway I have considered 3 options.

1)Bin it
2)Do (Anon) letter to the solicitor explaining this person never ever stayed in the house etc
3) Reseal the letter and print on it-Not ever know at this address, no further correspondence re this matter please.(or words to that effect) and return it to the solicitors.

At the end of the day I know its not my responsibility ,but I am just trying to be constructive and and nip this in the bud so any advice appreciated

thanks!

Back