Summer of rage

UptheDeise

I've read this news article that even the police now expect serious civil unrest come the summer.

What will the Garda do here? Have they the proper training in crowd control? Have they the proper riot gear?

This is getting scarier by the day.

[broken link removed]

I've read this news article that even the police now expect serious civil unrest come the summer.

What will the Garda do here? Have they the proper training in crowd control? Have they the proper riot gear?

This is getting scarier by the day.

[broken link removed]

That's in the UK.
We'd never lower ourselves to that level here :rolleyes:

Are you 100% sure about that? When the unemployemnt rate soars, when inflation gets going, when the middle classes are wiped out.... are you sure they won't be any riots? Didn't we have a riot a while back up in Dublin? Lots of people who weren't initially part of the protest rioted and looted nearby shops. A lot of them were comfy middle classes.

Then again myabe your just be a bit sarcastic.

Didn't we have a riot a while back up in Dublin? Lots of people who weren't initially part of the protest rioted and looted nearby shops. A lot of them were comfy middle classes.

And your sources for this 'information' are .. :rolleyes: ?

Didn't we have a riot a while back up in Dublin? Lots of people who weren't initially part of the protest rioted and looted nearby shops. A lot of them were comfy middle classes.
The Love Ulster parade maybe? You may be at the @rse end of a chinese whisper.

Are people trying to tell me that they was no rioting going on up in Dublin a couple of years back... the love ulster parade... that's the one.

My point that I was trying to make is that middle class and working class can be as violent as the other.

Or maybe as a working class man I've overstepped the mark? Oh if that's the case I apologise for not known my place.

Yes, it's true only working classes commit all the crimes in this country. The working class B******s have ruined our banks, are incompetent in government and have swelled the public sector ranks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are people trying to tell me that they was no rioting going on up in Dublin a couple of years back... the love ulster parade... that's the one.

My point that I was trying to make is that middle class and working class can be as violent as the other.

Or maybe as a working class man I've overstepped the mark? Oh if that's the case I apologise for not known my place.

Yes, it's true only working classes commit all the crimes in this country. The working class B******s have ruined our banks, are incompetent in government and have swelled the public sector ranks.

I hate class distinctions. They have no place in a republic.

Each of should choose which course of action we must take; education,conventional political action or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes,

But let it not be said we did nothing

Ron Paul

....governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whatever form of government becomes destructive of these ends; it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it.

Jefferson

Our government is ineffective and corrupted. It's also headed up by an unelected Tee-shock.

Time for it to go.

I for sure think we are going to see riots on the street soon.

Imagine 40% unemployeed, no bus services, limited fire + rescue services, aerlingus on strike, gardai on "blue flue" and the defence forces not stepping in becaue their "union" does not want that.

Now think the top 10% earners leaving the country because the tax has gone up to 65% and the top multinations leaving because the corporate tax has gone up to 20%.

Food riots....

But maybe I'm just seeing it too dark.

If the Bearded Brethren get their way I think your scenario is not just possible, it’s inevitable.

Even though it's Wikipedia this gives a fair description of the Love Ulster parade/riot. Not many people from the leafy suburbs I can assure you.

Ulimately what you're talking about in terms of civil unrest is possible but I personnally don't think is all that likely. Look at the protest last week. Well organised and zero incidents.

In a bigger country like the UK you're more likely to get a hard core of anarchists looking to take advantage of civil unrest and co-opt it towards their own agenda.

One of the features of small countries is that it's possible, not necessarily easy but possible, to make changes happen; for public opinion to form and actions to occur at the highest level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJJN9qwhkkE&feature=related

Didn't we have a riot a while back up in Dublin? Lots of people who weren't initially part of the protest rioted and looted nearby shops. A lot of them were comfy middle classes..

Take all of the rioters that day.

Subtract the gougers wearing Celtic jerseys, sporting ARGOS sovereign rings.

So what you're left with is the 'comfy middle class' [sic] ?

:rolleyes:

I for sure think we are going to see riots on the street soon.

Imagine 40% unemployeed, no bus services, limited fire + rescue services, aerlingus on strike, gardai on "blue flue" and the defence forces not stepping in becaue their "union" does not want that.

Now think the top 10% earners leaving the country because the tax has gone up to 65% and the top multinations leaving because the corporate tax has gone up to 20%.

Food riots....

But maybe I'm just seeing it too dark.

this is inevitable unless those in the public service realise our government cannot to maintain the over generous terms of payment they receive.

I hate class distinctions. They have no place in a republic.
Who washed the dishes in Plato's utopian Republic? The classical dichotomy versus the pyramid.These things have been discussed from Cain/Abel to Keynes/Friedman and from Trasymachus to Nietzsche to Tony Benn without ever coming to an agreed conclusion. Could not someone start up a kind of joyous nihilistic group/party!

Are you 100% sure about that? When the unemployemnt rate soars, when inflation gets going, when the middle classes are wiped out.... are you sure they won't be any riots? Didn't we have a riot a while back up in Dublin? Lots of people who weren't initially part of the protest rioted and looted nearby shops. A lot of them were comfy middle classes.

Then again myabe your just be a bit sarcastic.

Ah sure if the Middle Class are already wiped out they can't be up to any of that Rioting can they. Cancel that Gardai overtime.

Take all of the rioters that day.

Subtract the gougers wearing Celtic jerseys, sporting ARGOS sovereign rings.

So what you're left with is the 'comfy middle class' [sic] ?

:rolleyes:

So I put the question to you. Do you think it is impossible for middle class people to turn violent and riot or is that job exclusively dedicated to the working classes only?

Ah sure if the Middle Class are already wiped out they can't be up to any of that Rioting can they. Cancel that Gardai overtime.

The middle classes savings, pensions and investments will be wiped out. They'll be lucky to own the clothes on their backs.

UptheDeise, it looks to me as if you are trying to stir things up.

I am middle class, and have no intention of rioting.

UptheDeise, it looks to me as if you are trying to stir things up.

I am middle class, and have no intention of rioting.

Padraigb, I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm working class and have no intention of rioting. Even though I've lost so much.

Back