Summer holidays in Salzburg

hp1702

Has anyone been to a resort in Austria with a young family. We have been looking at various hotel resorts near Salzburg seem to cater for families, do the full board thing and also have 1-2 apartments to stay in ratehr then the one bed family room option.

We are wondering about:
- what was the experience like ?
- what was ther resort like for children
- For English speaking children, how well were they catered for ?

Thanks in advance

Hi hp1702,
Just be aware that it can get very hot down there. My cousin was there with a young family a couple of years ago and they found it too hot (close to 40C on some days). Make sure the apartment/house and your car has AC.

Agree with last poster. We had a family wedding there a couple of years ago and stayed in a lovely hotel in the area. While the hotel was very nice, it didnt have A/C. The temperature was up to nearly 40 every day and it was so hot I couldnt sleep at night. I wouldnt bring my young children to that kind of heat. Despite that the facilities being wonderful and lots to do and the people were very kind and friendly so I would go again but not in August which is when we went.

There is plenty to do for children- can hire bicycles, go horse riding, go hill walking, the hotel we stayed in was very nice it had indoor and outdoor swimming pool and spa and you can go up the ski lifts into the mountains. Also lots of places to visit around. In general the food was very nice- we stayed full boarding and for breakfast and evening meal there was a huge buffet groaning with loads of options.

Thanks jr and Vanilla,

We are planning on going early July so will research the temps for that period.

HP1702

I was there last July, towards the end of the month, extremely hot. We staying in a small ski viallge outside Salzburg, it was fantastic and so picturesque. One of the days we went into Salzburg and the temperature had hit mid thirties, way to hot to be walking around a city in that kind of temperature. Hiring bikes is a great way to see the countryside. The Alpine views are amazing

My buddies have a house in the town of salzburg and they have 5 children ranging from 14 to 6. They don't go during the summer for 2 reasons, last year the weather in July was appaling which makes it difficult to entertain so many children and also they found it very expensive to go/do anywhere, anything i.e. local pool and things like that. They would by no means be short of a few bob but still found everything "additional" expensive. I don't mean eating out, I specifically mean bringing kids to do things that has an entrance fee should the weather be bad.

They also found it mostly dominated by the arabs who come over from saudi. I don't mean that in any way racist, they just felt like a fish out of water. It's a very popular destination for the arabs (wealthy) during the summer.

They love it during the skiing season and have kept that house for that reason. They are renting their house for 3 weeks in July.

Hope this helps.

Back