Summer Camp in Ireland

K

knowsjack

Hi,

I'm looking for some good recommendations for a Summer Camp in Ireland this summer of 2007, for a 6-year-old Irish boy who has lived abroad for most of his life.
His English is fluent, his Irish almost zero.
An activity camp with lots of sports is preferred.

Any guidelines on contacts; or failing that camp duration, activities, and price much appreciated.

Thanks

KJ

Your local library and school would be a source of information on local summer camps - they don't have to cost a fortune

He will have absolutely no trouble communicating with anybody so!

well the lad has at least a chance then!

Thanks for the responses

- Yes anywhere in Ireland will be considered
- I have no ideas on 'normal costs'
- A Gaeltacht school is not an option

KJ

My daughter will be going to a summer camp taking place in our local secondary school grounds from the 23rd of July for a week. It is being run by the crowd on this website www.letsgo.ie and seemingly they run them throughout the country. Might be booked out but worth checking out. Have spoken to parents of kids who have gone before and they rated it highly.

I very much doubt you would get a residential course for a child that age?

If you are near to it the Summer Camp run by King's Hospital in Palmerstown is good.

Are you looking for residential or day camp, and again, where exactly are you based.

Anyone thinking of sending their child to a summer camp make certain you check out the facilities thoroughly before you pay out the money. I paid €80 a couple of years ago for one week. I sent my niece who was here with me on holiday from London. When I went to collect her after the first day it was raining so I had to go inside the building. While I waited I went to the toilet. I couldn't believe my eyes what I seen. The place was disgustingly filthy with toilet pans black and was in a disused building that never got cleaned. But the worst thing was the blood where a child had had a nose bleed and it was all over the place and had been there all day. No one was responsible for cleaning it up and it was in the sinks everywhere. When I complained it was obvious I would get nowhere so I told the supervisor my niece wouldn't be coming back.
I had to fight to get my money back. Please, please, check everything out before you send your child. Look behind the brochure and check out the premises where your child will be going.Sometimes it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

We're Asia based and plan on a few weeks back home in July/Aug, so we're considering the possibilities. There's little desire for a residential 'experience for someone that small.
It's not like we can just shove him on a plane and say have a nice summer.... so he'll be either with parents or relatives every day to take him to/fro.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

We're Asia based and plan on a few weeks back home in July/Aug, so we're considering the possibilities.

When I said 'Where are you based?', I meant in Ireland. Will you be staying in Dublin South, North, Waterford....

Back