Suing a solicitor for negligence

folly

Hi
Please can someone advise?
We had the misfortune to encounter a solicitor who failed to perform his duties and basically lied regarding same. We approached the law society and only for their intervention we would still be twiddling our thumbs..waiting...waiting....waiting, you get the picture. The law soc recorded 'professional negligence' against him. We have suffered various losses; and without a lot of time, effort and goodwill generated could have suffered dire consequences. We wish to pursue said solicitor.

I spoke to another solicitor who tells me that we may need a lawyer. Please can someone tell me the difference between a lawyer and solicitor and advise what our initial approach should be? Has anyone successfully sued a solicitor, was it drawn out, expensive?
Many thanks

A lawyer is a general term for either solicitor or barrister, not used very much in this country and in this context is meaningless.

If you want to sue a solicitor you might want to get the list from the Law Society of the solicitors who have agreed to take on such work, there are a few in each area. Many solicitors do not want to do this because 1. they would be suing a colleague that they know very well and may have worked with and need to continue to work with over the period of their entire career and 2. it is usually thankless, bitter and difficult work.

What your solicitor MAY have meant ( and I am just guessing) is that you might need a barristers opinion on the matter or if it is open and shut, that you would need a barrister to draft proceedings- your solicitor would instruct the barrister.

Back