Suggestions for Sligo town

Caveat

Heading there for a few days this weekend - accommodation sorted.

Any ideas for things to do/see?

Good pubs/restaurants?

Be particularly interested to hear if there is a good Indian. :)

Oh yeah! Good restaurant is Donaghy's in town or if you're prepared to drive a bit, there's a gorgeous one in Castlebaldwin (on N4 about 15-20 minutes from Sligo in Dublin direction) called The Clevery Mill - google it for number. Not sure about Indian restaurants.

Good pubs are plentiful! I like Fiddlers Creek, McHugh's, Garavogue, The Belfry but it depends on what you're looking for.

Things to do - go see Yeat's grave, climb Benbulben, go to Strandhill where you can take surf lessons, walk on beach, watch kite surfers, go for a seaweed bath or just have a pint! Glencarne waterfall is also near. There's also horse racing in Sligo (not sure what dates it's on), pitch and putt, golf, great shops, and that's all I can think of for now.

Hope that's of some use! :)

see if they do a westlife tour, around there old houses and where they met

Are the nightclubs any good? Or is there a decent late bar in the town? Heading there myself with the girlfriend in a few weeks and was wondering what our late night drinking options could/should be. Would want to avoid any clubs packed with 18 year olds knocking back WKD or grotty kip pubs that serve "till all hours"......

There's a good Indian in O'Connell Street (hope I have the name correct, it is the now pedestrianised street with all the UK shops in it and also opposite an entrance to Penney's and Tesco).

Sea weed baths? Essential!

The Indian on the main st is called Popodoms - you have to go upstairs it's between a book store (Liber bookstore I think) and Carl Scarpa. It is excellent and I have eaten both in and take away from there. There are two other Indian restaurants - one on market st and the other at the quays while they are nice also the first one mentioned is the best.
Shoot the crows for a drink definitely and old and just fab - great pint!
There is a night club called Velvet which caters for the older crowd do not go to Envy or Toffs unless you want to meet my 16 yr old niece and all her friends.

Strandhill as mentioned already is a must - there is a great buzz around there especially on a Sunday morning - everyone clearing there heads from Sat night.

I'm not a hugh fan of Donaghy's (coach Lane) I find there food very rich and have a bigger preference for the French restaurant Monte Marte which is at the entrance to the martket yard - fantastic food staff and wine there.

Anything else just ask.

Restraunt Bianconi on O'Connel street seems to be very busy, it is next to Burger K.
I havn't eaten in Bianconi myself yet, but it does draw the crowds.

Bianconis' is great but I find the portions way to big. I find it's best to have a starter each, share a pizza even a half and half if you prefer different toppings and if your up for it try the BCCC for dessert, They only take 25% bookings for a Sat night so if you haven't booked get in there for about 6.30 and even if you've to wait a bit you can have a drink.

There is a great nightclub in Sligo, went there for a weekend and like yourself was mad to avoid the 18 year old young and drunk crew.
Have to say crowd was great, a bit older say 25-40, good music, very classy looking venue - nicer than Dublin clubs. The name escapes me now, but it's along the river and I'm sure once you get to Sligo you'll have no trouble finding it if you ask around.

There is a great nightclub in Sligo, went there for a weekend and like yourself was mad to avoid the 18 year old young and drunk crew.
Have to say crowd was great, a bit older say 25-40, good music, very classy looking venue - nicer than Dublin clubs. The name escapes me now, but it's along the river and I'm sure once you get to Sligo you'll have no trouble finding it if you ask around.

Its Velvet - yes great club... if you're booked in advance you can have table service upstairs.. service to your table, cocktails, champagne whatever and your seats are kept. No extra charge - hard to book unless well in advance though

www.velvetroom.ie

If you are intererested in Willife you must visit Eagles Flying. Check out their website www.eaglesflying.com I'm from the area but only recently visited it and was amazed at the varieity of birds iof prey and other lovely animals there. It is only about 15 - 20 mins from Sligo - directions on website. You could visit Lissadell House on the Bundoran Road - home of Constance Markiewicz and her sister Eva Gore Booth. A really nice beach only 5 mins from Sligo is Rosses Point. That should keep you going for the weekend!

Thanks again all.

Plenty to consider - heading off now in a few hours.

All comments/advice appreciated!

Back