Suggestions for holiday in April ?

Happy_Harry

Was thinking of getting a 3 weeks holiday in in April, as it would be the only time I could have 3 full weeks off. This time around I don't want to go to US, Mexico, Europe or South Africa. Requirements: Nice weather (23-30 degrees- no rain please), some sights to be seen(but also ability to relax) and nice food.
I was thinking myself of Asia, but not quite sure about the weather, the web tells me conflicting information regarding rain seasons, some start in May some in April, so some first hand experience would be appreciated.
Thanks

You can go to Spain: Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Cadiz.
You'll see the flamenco festival in Seville (look for this year's dates: Feria de Abril- 1 full week). Once in Spain you can rent a car very cheap http://www.acb-rentacar.com/, and travel through the RUTA DE LA PLATA (white lovely villages- Aracena, Zufre, Segura de Leon, Fregenal de la Sierra, etc...). In Granada visit the amazing ALHAMBRA (it could take you most of the day), in Cordoba enjoy the beatiful city and food and visit LA MEZQUITA (You'll feel you are in Morocco...).
Then, leave the city and enjoy the sea, with no tourists or hassle in BOLONIA, ZAHARA DE LOS ATUNES, LOS CAÑOS DE MECA...Travel to VEJER DE LA FRONTERA (amazing village).

And loads more. Contact me if you need any more details.

Great suggestion....We spent an Easter week in Granada once, unforgettable....Book well in advance for the Alhambra !

I would recommend Thailand; the rainy season does not really kick off until May and then lasts through to October. It depends on which part of the country you are in; the far southern parts are prone to longer rainy seasons than in the north. You will probably get some rain in April but nothing like later on in the rainy season.

I was in Bangkok and Pattaya in October a few years ago when the average rainfall is way more than what you would expect in April and it really was not that bad. In a country like this, it does not rain continuously all day (like in Ireland), the rain falls (no, it pours!!!) for about a hour or so and stops; sun comes out and the whole area is bone dry within minutes (well not in Bangkok where there is a constant smog).

To be really sure, travel in March or in the beginning of April. By the way, April is in the off peak season which would mean you will not be clambering over other tourists as times like November - January

Thanks for the advice. Thailand features high on the list at present. But I was wondering if I am in that area, could I not spend a week in Vietnam or Indonesia ( great food!!) as well ? mAnybody that has visited more than one country in SouthEast Asia within a limited timeframe?

Don't forget that Songkran takes place in Thailand from around April 10th-18th every year.
Songkran is the Thai new year and is mainly characterised by all day water fights and general merriment!

Its my personal favourite time of the year... but some people can't handle getting constantly soaked!

Have a look at Cancun, Mexico. I went there at he end of April start of May and it was really nice. I think Budget are doing Mexico again after a break last year.

Thanks for the advice. Thailand features high on the list at present. But I was wondering if I am in that area, could I not spend a week in Vietnam or Indonesia ( great food!!) as well ? mAnybody that has visited more than one country in SouthEast Asia within a limited timeframe?

I would highly recommend Thailand, you can get flights to the islands from
Bangkok and you can also arrange Visas for the neighbouring countries of Laos,
Vietnam,Cambodia, Burma etc. I'd recommend Laos for pure relaxation and
the food is fantastic. Vietnam has many things to see in the way of touristy stuff
and so does Cambodia. I wouldn't spend much time in Bangkok, maybe a day or 2
to sort out visas and do a spot of shopping. Weather should be nice in April aswell.

The Lonely Planet "SEA on a shoestring" will give you all the info you need to have a
memorable 3 weeks there. However, you'll find that 3 weeks goes nowhere in such
a beautiful part of the world.

I
The Lonely Planet "SEA on a shoestring" will give you all the info you need to have a
memorable 3 weeks there. However, you'll find that 3 weeks goes nowhere in such
a beautiful part of the world.

You're right. Ordered a rough guide and postponed SE Asia to next winter, hopefuly I might get a few months off work and (finally) do a round-the-world trip. Would have a bit more time on my hands then.. (and a SSIA)
As April is still on, am now looking at Argentina. The important thing is that the missus gets a tan, so was thinking of travelling 2 weeks and 1 week on beach nearby...any suggestions ?

Hi there. I wouldn't suggest Thai islands on either side of the country April time. I've been to Thailand five times and April was by far the hottest and most uncomfortable. March is much better, Feb's not bad either. I've also been to a few of the other countries in S.E Asia. Indonesia, Cambodia, Malaysia. Vietnam was the place for us, cheaper, unspoilt, more easy going, friendlier people, and although we went in September and the weather wasn't the greatest, I think Lonely Planet make a very good observation. As Vietnam has such a long coastline, the country is generally experiencing three seasons at any one time. Therefore if it's wet in the north you'll often find the weather is improved in the centre or lower south, and vice versa. Hope that's been of some help too you.

Hi harry we were planning a trip in april too , have you looked at flights? everything is soo expensive, as easter is falling in april this year and the schools are off which puts april into high season prices. had a look at tobago very near south america , flights look great pricewise with excel from london for mid april onwards ,you would definitely get a tan on beautiful beachs with rainforests to explore and trinidad is a short cheap flight away, sounds ideal. The downside is 9 hour flight from london and excel airways are getting bad reviews for time keeping, maybe someone out there has travelled with them on this route could comment.

Fizz, you're also right. Flights to S-America are very expensive and scarse. It also looks like we can only go from mid April onwards, Argentina will be getting colder by then. Tobago sounds good, beaches is a plus, but I am not sure whether I would get the better half into a rain forrest.Did you look at flights only ?
I am now also looking at Hawaii with a 4 day stop in Vegas. Flights would be under 900 euro with United, and there is this Dutch agency selling packages for 1400 euro, 3 nights Vegas, 6 nights Hawaii in 3/4 star hotels + 399 for an extra week in Hawaii. Only drawback is you fly from Amsterdam. Not sure whether I would be able to get hotels cheaper myself .

Egypt - cruise on the Nile with organised but optional sight-seeing tours to the valley of the Kings, temples, souks, Aswan high dam etc. - 3 day trip to Cairo to see the Pyramids - loads to see, loads to do, not too hot - buy a nice bit of gold for the missus (unless you are the missus - in which case buy for yourself!) Gold in Egypt is sold by weight not intracacy of design, so there's no reason not to design something yourself and have it made up while your there. Food is excellent, we cruised for a week and then stayed a week in the Sheraton - but with 3 weeks to play with you could go to the Red Sea, (Hurgarda, El Gouna etc) for a week too. We found it to be a fantastic holiday, relaxing, informative and very reasonable - we went with Budget in early May.

We just looked at flights only to tobago seems theres plenty of apartments on robinson crusoe beaches (if the websites are to be believed )you can rent independently and the island is cheaper than most in the caribbean, hope i didn't mislead you with the rainforest I think its quite small !!! ... also looked at cuba with flights from london with cubana reasonable enough april ... hawaii sounds exotic that would be a long plane flight or 3 ... what company did you see that deal with harry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fizz.. The company is called exit-reizen.nl and I have used them once before..the problem you probably will have is to read their website, Dutch only.They only do USA/Canada/Bahamas and they're quite cheap. Just got a quote for 3 nights Vegas(Bellagio) 6 nights Oahu and 6 nights Maui incl all flights and hotel for 2,000 Euro. Plans are coming together..

Thanks for that harry , just had a look at that site it was refreshing to see holiday offers over 7 days long , i used freetranslation.com to get the gist of what they had on offer. I love the idea of 16 days when taking such long flights jet lag etc... alaska sounds very tempting. Enjoy hawaii !

Back