Suggestions for building a cheap garden music studio ?

cathye

I am looking to build a very small office/shed in garden for use as a music studio (max. 9sqm.) Would need very high level of sound insulation. Whats my cheapest option ? Am I fooling myself with a budget of just €5000 ?

Not looking for anything flashy and as we wont always be living in this house dont want to invest much in a structure we cant take with us if we eventually move.

3x4m, 45mm Log cabin with double glazed windows, not sure about the current prices (€3,500?), they seems to have dropped a lot. Add in cost of concrete base (€600?), add 200-300mm Rockwool to floor, walls, roof, clad with wood or plasterboard (you can get a heaver sound proofing plasterboard (€1,000?) , electrics own CU etc (€500?).

The 3x4m is to take into account the space lost from the insulation and it is a standard size. Those prices are just guesses. Not too sure how you would go about sound proofing the door (the standard door would not be much good) and the windows may still be a bit leaky even if double glazed. The standard double glazing some of these log cabins have is not great!

Just back from a friend's house for dinner.

Timber Office circa 4M x 6M or so €9K including furniture and services.

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

ONQ, As you are running a business from a home office and like to obey the laws of the land, have you looked a the requirements for PAT testing (Safety, Health and Welfare at Work(General Application) Regulation’s S.I NO.299 of 2007) and it's associated (annual) costs?

Personally I don't think many (non industrial) companies know this requirement even exists, let alone those run from home. Time for a cuppa from the illegal to operate kettle...

Door can be insulated by bonding 50mm insulation to the inside, cover with a 6mm plywood and stain to match. It won't be sound tight but will help.

As Towger suggests, your budget is reasonable and you should do ok.

ONQ, As you are running a business from a home office and like to obey the laws of the land, have you looked a the requirements for PAT testing (Safety, Health and Welfare at Work(General Application) Regulation’s S.I NO.299 of 2007) and it's associated (annual) costs?

Personally I don't think many (non industrial) companies know this requirement even exists, let alone those run from home. Time for a cuppa from the illegal to operate kettle...

Hi Towger, thanks for the head up.

I hadn't read this document itself, just the HSA guides on various aspects of it and the Acts and other regs.

This seems like an amalgamation of the previously existing guides.

As far as we're concerned; -

We're a sole tradership not a limited company.

We don't produce goods, but services.

We have no outside employees.

Still, its always handy to have the definitive reference on file.

(enjoyed that cuppa tea, though...)

:)

M.

Back