Sue Local Auth in SCC for failure to meet obligations under a tenancy agree

redunited

Is it possible to take a local authorty to the small claims court?

I am looking to sue the council for failure to meet their obligations under a tenancy agreement where the tenant (Myself) has had to meet the cost of repairs themselves which cost around €1,000.

Councils excuse, We dont have the funds.

Im hoping to do this in a small claims court to avoid expense, if its not possible to do this please could you advise me what court I would need to attend and if I could send in the required forms myself to sue them and whats involved.

Thanks for any advice.

The information below from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

would seem to not allow you to take a case against them in the small claims court.

The following types of consumer claims can be dealt with under the Small Claims procedure:
  • Consumer claims such as for faulty goods or bad workmanship. You must have bought the goods or service for private use from someone selling them in the course of business.
  • Claims can also be made for minor damage to your property.
  • Claims for the non-return of a rent deposit for certain kinds of rented properties, such as, a holiday home or a flat in a premises where the landlord also lives. The Private Residential Tenancies Board handles such claims for the mainstream private rented housing sector.
Consumer claims cannot be made in the Small Claims Court for debts, personal injuries or breach of leasing or hire-purchase agreements.

Back