Sudden crack in an inside wall - why?

Audrey

Tonight I noticed a long crack in my sitting room wall. It's a plastered and painted wall (no wallpaper). The crack goes from almost the bottom of the wall vertically to almost the top of the wall. It is jagged rather than straight. The wall adjoins the neighbour's wall. The house is about 100 years old. I had the whole house replastered in 2000 and have had no trouble at all since. I have absolutely no idea how this happened - haven't been using anything new (such as heating). In fact the house is a warm house and we haven't required heating yet this autumn. Has anybody got any ideas?
Thank you.

Did you get the place surveyed when you bought it? Did the surveyor mention any potential problems in that area? Perhaps it's just a surface crack in the plastering rather than something more serious?

Did you get the place surveyed when you bought it? Did the surveyor mention any potential problems in that area? Perhaps it's just a surface crack in the plastering rather than something more serious?

Yes I got a survey ... no problems in that area. Hopefully it's just a surface crack as you say. As it happens I was brought up in the house (mother died in 1999 and I bought the house back, did it up and moved back in) so I know the history of the house. Fingers crossed.

A

New plaster can crack like this as it settles but as you had it done in 2000, I don't think that can be it. I'd get someone in to take a look at it.