Ulster Successful appeal with Ulster Bank

Denvir

Great news! Well done for persevering.

Would you mind summarising your case as it will motivate others and they might learn from it.

Have you any tips for people pursuing an appeal? For example, how you got on at the oral hearing?

Brendan

We took out a tracker in 2006 and fixed 6 months into the mortgage for two years. In 2008 we received a letter stating that since we hadn't contacted the bank our mortgage would be defaulting to a SVR. The payments jumped substantially as a result. We met UB in one of the local branches and asked about the high rate, about our tracker and inquired about a 6 month break. We were told trackers were off the table.
In terms of the appeal, we broke into specific financial and non financial losses.
All our credit card statements and P60s outlining the pressure the overcharge was having on family life.
Specific details around shortfalls in pensions as we absorbed large overcharge monthly.
Loss of earnings due to stress leave.
Lack of education fund for children.
Birth certs of two children with 8yr gap as we couldn't afford 2nd childcare bill.
Copies of independent financial advice etc

Advice would be to be realistic about losses occurred and provide specific detail with every sub section.

Did they cover your financial advise costs?
I’m in the process of appealing and the bank have sent their first response which stated they wouldn’t cover these over and above the small sum included in our redress and compensation package.

Did they cover your financial advise costs?
I’m in the process of appealing and the bank have sent their first response which stated they wouldn’t cover these over and above the small sum included in our redress and compensation package.
We received confirmation that it has been upheld and an additional compensation amount is payable. There was no reference to fees/charges

So out of curiosity, the appeals panel met and just sent you out a letter stating the exact additional amount you would be getting ? Or did they say it’s upheld, and the revised amount will be calculated and sent out in the future. ? (I’m assuming calculations can be complex depending on the individual case)

The appeals panel met for me last Friday (AIB). It’s been nearly a year and a half since all the comms began. I’m expecting my letter any day. Just curious what to expect of the process if successful in my appeal.

Last edited:
Back