Success : Reported a car for dangerous driving and he was convicted

I was cycling into town along Grand Canal Street today and there was a taxi in front of me, not sure where he was going.

He did a very sudden u-turn to the far side of the road with screeching breaks, and an oncoming cyclist on the far side had to take evasive action.

So I turned around and went after the cyclist and asked if he wanted to report it. He just shrugged his shoulders and said something about a better place. He was foreign, so I didn't fully understand it. But I gathered that he didn't.

A pity.

Brendan

I've done similar one morning. I was sure the driver was either drunk or suicidal, e.g. Only overtaking when approaching a corner, overtaking a line of cars when there were hills which prevent seeing any cars coming towards his direction of travel. I phoned Garda station and gave registration and direction. Ten minutes later, Gardai had set up roadblock. Driver was stopped, charged with dangerous driving ( Garda saw driver overtaking over double white line at speed). I was asked to give statement later that week which I did but court appearance was not necessary as driver pleaded guilty.

That is very impressive.
When I called Garda station in the town we were driving towards, the person answering the call said they had a car out on patrol and would ask them to intervene. I suspected this was unlikely but was proved wrong. Nice to see policing being as responsive as they were that morning.

I've a dashcam. My wife was in an incident caused by another driver.
The insurance were going to do an "investigation" and it would take 3 months and told us to claim off our insurance in the meantime.
A visit to a solicitor the next day with our images and description meant the three months was reduced to 3 days and I didn't have to use our insurance for the repair at all.

Last edited:
remember years ago seeing a situation, car a(a) followed by car (b) followed by car(c)
car (c) attempted to over take both on long straight road, at same time car(b)started to overtake car(a) didnt check mirrors?, car (c) forced to drive on opposite hard shoulder to avoid colliding with car (b) interesting seeing 3 of them side by side

Back