Subsistence Rates working in Indonesia (from Ireland)

Melmoghra

Hi, I have to go to Indonesia in November with work. I see online where I can claim €147.00 per night for the first 14 nights:

Does this €147.00 cover my hotel, food and taxis while I am there please? What if the company pays for my hotel (breakfast included) ?

Thank you

Misinterpretation of the Civil Service rates I'm guessing.

OP, most companies whose staff engage in regular travel will have a travel & expenses policy of some description. Your answers likely lie there, but I think most companies just pay receipted expenses now.

As someone who travels al lot - if your employer is covering your expenses (e.g. hotel, travel costs, meals) they presumably have a policy or standard. So either they determine what hotels you can stay at or they give you a max spend. Likewise they might cover €xx per day against meals. In these cases, you will probably need receipts to justify any of these expenses (either you have a company credit card to use or you pay for them and claim them back).

Anything like that will have no effect for tax - travel expenses following a policy such as above are not treated as income.

In the past (and most often for domestic travel) some companies paid a flat rate allowance to travelling employees and it was up to them to do with it as they wished (a "per diem"). So if you could get a cheaper B&B or whatever you could pocket the difference. I think this was the idea behind the civil service allowance. I don't know of any company that operates this way anymore

Maybe, if a company doesn't cover living expenses when travelling, there is an ability to claim a tax allowance - is that the reference?

Back