subsistence / country money

L

leebugs

Hi. I need a bit of help understanding the rules of subsistence. I understand that there is a rate per day and that after a number of days the rate changes, and that there is another level after that.

My confusion concerns the distance travelled from base and what constitutes a base. My husband works for a utilities company and depending on where the staff are posted, they open up temporary bases in areas close to work (3 to 6 months on average).

There is also mention of a Site Allowance.

The company he works for sub-contracts to ESB mainly and also some local authorities.

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Subsistence relates to the payment by an employer to an employee who has to spend time away from their normal place of work (which may not necessarily be the base of the employer), instead of the employee having to produce receipts the employer can pay them a flat daily rate to cover meals & accomodation.

see [broken link removed] for further details and rates payable.

country money is different and is usually paid in the construction industry when employees have to travel to different sites to carry out their duties, and those sites are a certain distance away from the employers main base (there are different distance requirements for Dublin and the rest of the country).

see [broken link removed] for further details

Regards

Podowd
www.prima.ie

Also to calculate the ability to pay tax free subsistence they look at the distance from your base and the distance from your home and use the smaller figure.

Travel from home to base is not allowable but continually changing the base by the company is not allowed either. The base for calculation should be the location from which you are employed...... normally head office.

The construction Industry federation have a national agreement approved by revenue which covers all this.

Back