Subsidence

pablo123

Hello, We have had our house underpinned eight years ago due to subsidence , The following year our insurance cover more than doubled for obvious reasons with our insurers Allianz but Zurich are offering the exact policy for half of what we are paying now , The only clause is our new policy if we were to switch does not cover subsidence , My question is can subsidence reoccur , Thanks for any help in advance , Regards Paul.

Unlikely but possible in rare cases say where there are underground watercourses, see here, here. What guarantee did you get on the underpinning?

Although I have no knowledge if subsidence can recur, ask yourself why Zurich is cheaper. Because they don't want to insure against subsidence. You would be mad not to cover yourself. Thats what insurance is for.

What is the position about excesses for subsidence claims ?
Are subsidence excesses large - that might also be something to consider if changing to an insurer who will cover it ?

Did you claim for subsidence under your Aviva policy at the time? If so check what the amount for claim was and could you afford to pay that next year if you had no subsidence cover? also how many years of premium savings would it take to cover that subsidence claim? 5. 10. 15??

All very good points and thank you for your replies , I think it best to stay covered rather than worry about it recurring .

Back