Subsidence History and House Insurance

Wexfordman

Hi

I have a query on behalf of my sister (lets call her Wexfordwoman!!). She has a house, currently her main residence, and is re-locating out of the country. Her intention is to rent out her current house in Ireland, and use rent to repay mortgage, until when/if she returns to Ireland.

Here is the problem. The house is on an estate less the 5 yrs old, and has suffered subsidence. The house has been underpinned, and the underpinning is guaranteed for 15 years (was done through homebond/builder), and so the problem is rectified.

She is having problems getting quotes for house insurance, to cover the house for rental, where mainly the problem is the subsidence history, where most insurance co's will not quote because of the subsidence.

I am sure subsidence is not that rare a problem, so there must be a way around this. Any advice/guidance would be appriciated.

Regards,
Wexfordman

who insures the house at present? that insurer should surely quote, especially if they have paid for the subsidence claim in the past? an enineer might be prepared to survey and make a report to state the problem is now rectified.

Back